New Owner / Arizona

Hey everyone. Just wanted to introduce myself.

My name is Dustin and I live in the glorious dust bowl; Arizona.

Been riding for about 6 months now and am on my second bike. First was a Suzuki Intruder 1400 that I grew out of quickly. Just not enough excitement.

I then found a 2001 FZ1 with 7k miles on it. The bike had always been garaged and maintained by a man with OCD. There was not a scratch on it, looked pretty much like showroom. Got a smoking deal and now here I am.

Any other Arizona riders in the West Valley?

2e205xe.jpg

wan2jc.jpg

Hey Dustin, Let me say Welcome, Merry Christmas, and great choice you made with the FZ! Thats my identical bike. You are gonna have a blast on it. With only 7k, you really got a great deal. I was also fortunate that the previous owner kept my bike in showroom condition. You got me beat on the mileage though as mine had 11,530 when purchased. Feel free to roam around and ask anything you'd like. We are all very happy to help out with any questions you may have. Thanks for the pics. The bike looks great! Good luck with it.

Thanks guys. The only question I have it was already kind of answered via PM. My brother has a 2003 (Yellow and Black) and he swears by Yamalube. Pretty much telling me not to stray from it; but it's impossible to find out here.

The other two oils I've heard people using are Rotella something and Mobil 1 20w50 Synthetic?

Reccomendations? I'm sure this is going to open a can of worms. :scared0016:

Also, the KN filter is on the not reccomended list, is that due to filtration/price?

Thanks guys. The only question I have it was already kind of answered via PM. My brother has a 2003 (Yellow and Black) and he swears by Yamalube. Pretty much telling me not to stray from it; but it's impossible to find out here.

The other two oils I've heard people using are Rotella something and Mobil 1 20w50 Synthetic?

Reccomendations? I'm sure this is going to open a can of worms. :scared0016:

Also, the KN filter is on the not reccomended list, is that due to filtration/price?

If the bike is stock, you really don't need a K&N filter. Just stick with the OEM filter. If your not upping the fuel flow (Jet Kit), or adding a slip-on, there is no need for it. It may lean the mixture.

As for the oil. I also use the Yamalube but if for whatever reason it's not available, just go to any Walmart or Auto place and just make sure that on the back of the bottle it DOES NOT SAY, REmember NOT SAY "energy conserving" in the bottom half of the round circle. If you look at one you'll see what I mean. It's a circular stamp and in the lower half it will either say Energy conserving or it won't. You want the oil that does not say it. Then your good to go. Search the threads here using the "Search" feature and you'll find a thread that explains everything as well as brands that are safe to use and brands that you want to stay away from. If I find it I'll post it here in a link for you.

I meant K&N Oil Filter. :p

You don't need the K&N Oil Filter either Dustin. In that thread I was speaking about is more than half a dozen off the shelf oil filters that have been tested and work great on the bike. They are also a fraction of the price of a K&N. I'll get the SKU number from Canonfuji. It's a Walmart number and this filter tested the best out of the lot and it usually costs just about 2 bucks. Thats 6 dollars less than an OEM filter from the dealer.

The "search" function doesn't seem to be working on my end Dustin. I'm sure its one of the things that Dennis is working on. I'll call Canonfuji (another member) and ask for the number on the filter.

Here Ya Go

ST7317 at Walmart

Just look for that number on the filter's box. Don't worry, they are actually made by Champion and work extremely well. It's a SuperTech brand I believe. Have fun. You can get them at other places as well if there is no Walmart near you.

Wow! You were NOT kidding when you said meticulously cared for! IT looks BRAND NEW!

Congrats, Merry Christmas and :welcome: to the forum!

I rode the new FZ1 75 miles and drained the original oil. I put in Rotella Synthetic at that time and never looked back. The bike is super smooth after the first (almost) 7k miles!

Ride safe!!

Beauty

She's a Beauty! Congrats and welcome from the Canadian chapter !
I use K&N oil filters. I like the built on nut and the ability to wire the nut if needed. Comes in handy for torque wrench too. Yes I know there are cheaper ones but the K&N won't break me and I know they are good.:welcome:

She's a Beauty! Congrats and welcome from the Canadian chapter !
I use K&N oil filters. I like the built on nut and the ability to wire the nut if needed. Comes in handy for torque wrench too. Yes I know there are cheaper ones but the K&N won't break me and I know they are good.:welcome:

K&N and Mobil 1 are good filters, but you definitely pay more for them. As for me I stick with Purolator PureOne filters (PF14610). They work extremely well and I can use the same one for my bikes and car (Honda Accord). Just wish Purolator didn't change the color to that ugly yellow. However, a quick coating with some flat black paint and it's good to go ;)

Welcome Timebomb,
I live in northern Michigan but spend the winters in the Lake Havasu/Parker area. I'll be there this year on 1/6/10. PM me, and we should be able to meet somewhere in between. As far as oil and filters are concerned, it's far more important to make sure you're putting in good quality, and specific brand really doesn't matter. I personally use Amsoil and it's pricey I admit. I ride a lot and change my oil and filter two to three times a year. If it costs me an additional $20 to use the good stuff I just chaulk it up to cheap insurance. The way I look at it, I wouldn't buy a cheap heart monitor and I don't buy cheap for my FZ1 either.

Hello TimeBombAZ

And welcome to be Yamaha owner.

I must say, I am jealous to You who can drive right now!

We have -10 Celsius( app. 14 F) and it is some 25 cm (10 inches)snow at the ground.

Has driven last time end of September and will have next drive maybe at beginning of April....... Lycky to live in Finland, really?

I have got my FZ 1N ABS since august 2008, drive that fall (august-september) only some 800 miles, but this summer has got more, total now app. 6500 miles.

Has really impressed about this site and about excellent tuning some has maid...

Have a nice ride to all You lucky can drive..... :(

Back