New Motorcycle Safety Studies Released

Msf is a joke. Even so, newbs should take the course, and everything else out there.

How can you possibly justify saying that? The BRC course is a valuable and worthy course and should be even taken as a refresher by experienced riders on occasion. This is a great tool to examine bad habits developed and practice good technique. Perhaps you are saying this because either A) You've never taken the course or B) took the course and had terrible instructors?

We need a comprehensive msf course, directed by instructors like pridmore and code, ranging from street, to slow/tight turns (like the police riders do), dirt experience, to various track situations, and over time, say a couple years.

Those courses ARE available. After the BRC, you should take the intermediate AND advanced courses. The advanced course is taught on your bike, not theirs, thus the skills learned directly apply to your preferred ride.

Please try and back up what you are saying here scout. This is not what we avid riders want to convey to new riders. As a matter of fact, I'd ask that you edit that post please. Thanks.

I understand the article linked but based on a ton of online and personal reading, I find more people disagree with what that opinion stated in the article.

Last edited:
MSF Book

I have and have read though the MSF book. It is a well put together book, well illustrated and a great resource for a new rider to the street. Something that I only recently got. As I have been on street bikes for about 3 decades, there was nothing new for me and I enjoyed the Pridmore book more. I will insist that my youngest (who has expressed an interest in riding) read it cover to cover before even writing the exam. We are never too old to learn something new, whether from a book or a practical course. The problem is usually availability of courses and time and money.
Drivers licences have become too easy to get and taken as a right, not as the priveledge they are. Anything that helps produce a better and more skilled driver is always a good thing. There are some drivers that we would all be better off if they took public transport ( at least until they developed the skills and earned the right to drive properly).

Last edited:
I agree with the article that the statistic on training is questionable based on the relevancy of the minimal data they have. There should be more study on that one.

The other two seem kind of obvious. Even very experienced riders and racers are hailing the value of ABS these days, and ATC too.

The helmet thing is a no-brainer... but I suspect the responses that show that only 5% say they never where a helmet are a little skewed... it has to be more than that in reality....

Thanks for posting this article!

MSF is a great resource, and a good starting point. If it's the ONLY course you ever take, it basically gives you a good place to start from. Continued motorcycle training is always recommended at the conclusion of each MSF course, but a large number of people seem to take the course to fulfill the driving portion of their state's driving test.

The GREAT thing about MSF is that it applies to EVERY rider. After this point, you can pick and choose the advanced courses that will be most applicable to the type of riding you wish to do. The ARC is also a great course since it incorporates each person on their own bike, but we used to recommend people return to an ARC after spending a full season on their own bike, learning their capabilities and their shortcomings. It's easier to help someone with their problems when they have their problems identified.

To me, the biggest factor in what you'll take away from any course is how open you are to instruction. I was constantly amazed by people who seemed to want to just get the certificate, and not actually change their improper habits.

When friends and I go riding, every so often we stop, and talk about problems we had while riding, whether that be a certain corner, a group of esses, or a specific aspect. I know that I need to work on making my turn-in happen quicker. I tend to be a little lazy with my steering, and as a result, my turn-in points are happening before they need to, assuming I had a faster turn-in. Also, I tend to lean off of the bike too much.

If we can identify our faults, we can then work on them. Keith Code said it best in one of his books... Many people say " I didn't turn-in fast enough.." or "I didn't pick the proper line on that corner". .... well... You can't fix things you didn't do.... You have to say, "I waited too long before providing input on the bars" or " I turned in 10 yards before my marker on that turn" ... those are specific problems.. and specific problems can be fixed.

I'd like to see a thread on here about riding problems... where we can get each other's input on correcting these problems.

i believe that proper education/training along with the proper choice of bike can go a long way in preventing many accidents that ca be attributed to experience level and too large a bike, i was very lucky/fortunate the bike i got my license on was a kaw 750 triple two stroke which was too powerful for a first road bike it did scare respect into me

Back