New Member - maybe

New Member.

Hi everyone, after 35 years of continuous bike riding i' ve been trying to give it up. ( old age catching up maybe ). I sold my last bike and went cold turkey :mad:

To cut a long story short i' m now thinking of buying either an 08 or 09 FZ1.:tup: There are lots of 0% deals at the moment on both years and was wondering as there is quite a price variation, what are the differences between the two model years apart from the usual new colours ,or would it be better to wait for the 10 model ?

Last edited:
No difference other than pricing and colors between the '08 and the '09 models...well at least here in the US anyway. Yamaha raised the price of the '09 so the '08 will definitely be cheaper and at 0% financing you can't beat it. I say go for it!

Thats how i got mine UMotors in Fargo had an 08 on the floor marked down over 2 grand and 0 miles on it so they wanted to sell that one to get 09s out on the floor. Go for it great bike to ride

Same here. I got a brand new 08 with 0 miles for $6999 OTD! Really hard to beat model year closeout deals. I'm glad to see that this is a habit you can't quit! :th_smiley_rotfl2[1]

Pretty much same story here: I purchased an '08 with 0 mi. in June '09 for $7299. When one considers '09 entry level middle-weight bikes, i.e. Kawa 650R, Suzi Sv650s & GSX 650, Yamaha FZ6 & FZ6R, list for the same price or a few hundred less, it's a great time to pick up a discounted Fz1.:sport12:

Last edited:
I've got over ten years on you and I'd rather meet my maker than give up riding. That's a wide space of decisions, quit or get a new bike? I'll bet that your life will be much happier and satisfying with a new FZ1 than walking.

Oh well, its done, bike ordered !!!!, an 09 fz1 in graphite. Now just waiting for the finance and other crap to be sorted. Hopefully will only take about a week.

:shine::shine::shine:

Oh well, its done, bike ordered !!!!, an 09 fz1 in graphite. Now just waiting for the finance and other crap to be sorted. Hopefully will only take about a week.

Glad you decided to go for it! It's a great bike and I am sure you'll enjoy riding it.

Maybe things work backwards overseas -- but it seems that European sales are alot more difficult to close than here in the states.

Gunny (Scotland) had to wait two weeks for his -- you having to wait a week and there was someone else.....can you elaborate a bit on why this might be??

BTW -- Congratulations and may the FZ bring you countless smiles....even if she breaks the bank while doing so....(with mods that is.....)

Adam

Maybe things work backwards overseas -- but it seems that European sales are alot more difficult to close than here in the states.

Gunny (Scotland) had to wait two weeks for his -- you having to wait a week and there was someone else.....can you elaborate a bit on why this might be??

BTW -- Congratulations and may the FZ bring you countless smiles....even if she breaks the bank while doing so....(with mods that is.....)

Adam

I think the problem is most sales are made at the weekend.( finance firms closed ). You have to arrange for you insurance co to send out an insurance note which you have to get to the dealer so they can tax the bike for you. At least 3 to 4 days in the post.

What would you say is the first mod i should save for ? if its the can it would have to be legal as im cheesed off with grief from the boys in blue who have nothing better to do :)

I forget what you guys call your annual inspection -- PITA. I know that one member -- maybe Stonsie, keeps his factory parts and swaps them out when he goes into renew. Guess that is how the UK keeps the cycle mods to a minimum and stritly for "off road use only"

The can is usually one of the first things to go -- weighs quite a bit. Swap it out and you can save close to 7lbs (3.17kg) in weight savings from the stocker. Baffles and things can help keep things inline from getting to loud for the 'ol boys in blue.

Rear fender eliminator to eliminate that part that protrudes off the back and extends into the next county....

The suspension is probably my biggest things to date. If I had my mod path to do over again, I would of reworked it first -- and then the rest would have fallen into place. Don't know your size, but if you are over 150 (68kg) the suspension will be undersprung for ya. Stiffer springs are the easiest/cheapest solution, but there is an outfit here in the states called Traxxion Dynamics and can really change the bike from fun to ride to a perma-grin when you get off the bike.

The rear shock can't be serviced in the same manners as the forks -- people have gone to the R1, with some machining of certain bits to be able to mount a rear shock there that is serviceable. It is tight space with minimal clearances.

But then, I'm a Gen I rider and giving you some cosmetic with a bit of ridability thrown at ya. I'll leave the other Gen II owners to go into that which I sit back and try to put all the pieces together along side of ya.

Adam

You'll love it! The hard part, now, is waiting out delivery and putting on engine break in miles.
But, after break in, Bob's your uncle. :sport12:.

Last edited:
Great looking bike! That red seat is interesting. Would look even better if it had some red graphics on the tank or tail IMHO. Enjoy the bike and be safe.

Back