new guy with windscreen question

Just joined today and am curious which windscreen for the FZ1 is the shortest?
I cut down and installed a Puig DB on my FZ6 so I am hoping there is a dark smoke or mirrored finish short windscreen available.
Oh by the way, i'm picking up a 2008 FZ1 Tuesday!!
Thanks.

I've got a buggered ZG speed screen--not that I couldn't come up with a way, but how did you get your radius and what did you use to cut/smooth the screen?

Will probably end up painting it to match new paint.....

Adam

when i cut my Puig I used a length of string, wrapped it around a sharpie marker (easy to adjust the length by unwrapping). The other end I nailed to my workbench just below where the bottom of the windscreen was. It was very easy to do actually.
I used a dremel tool with a small cutoff wheel and followed the line from the sharpie.
Another guy told me he used a hacksaw to make the cut also.

I bolted on the windscreen, and took some pinstriping tape... I stuck it to one side at the top of the fairing, and then after several attempts, got it over to the other side at the same height ... then, marked above the pinstriping tape with a sharpie... cut it was the Dremel, and smoothed the edge with 600 grit... then fine sanded with 1500.... then put a piece of black fender trim across the top to finish the look.

Picked up a rock on my ZGDB and marred it all up. I will have to give the 1500 a try to see if I can't buff it out.

As for the short screen, will give it a shot and see what comes of it.

I wish I had access to my jr. high shop class and the buffing wheel -- would take care of it in a matter of 20 seconds.

I think you'll find that the stock screen is pretty darned short, and pretty worthless when it comes to high speed riding. I'm only 5'6" and it didn't take me long to get a larger screen so I didn't get blown off the bike at highway speeds. And, in some of the nasty cross-winds we can get, riding can be a real bummer. I live in Gaylord and just got back from a 4600 mile ride. It would have been impossible with the stock screen.

Back