new guy - jssport

My name is Jim. I'm in my late fifty's and starting over with a 07 FZ1. I started riding when I was 5 yrs old with a Rupp. I have continuously ridden and have had a motorcycle in my garage ever since then. I have ridden motocross, enduro's, flat track, ice, desert and roadrace in my time here on earth. My last bike was the best sport tour bike ever built, Ducati’s ST4s. I used to own and race a factory 1974 Kaw H2R and built a HD Sportster that I set LSR records on as well one at Bonneville. Three years ago I had 8 bikes in my garage but today, just the FZ.

I was diagnosed with Stage 3, non-small, non-operable lung cancer and have been dealing with through radiation and chemo treatments. I have been given a life expectancy of 2-3 yrs. While it would be easy to lay down and wait for it, I’ve decided getting back into motorcycling is the best possible thing to do. I feel pretty good and think I’ll have the strength needed to use the bike this year, next summer I don’t know. Money is a huge concern and I recently found a low mileage 07 FZ1 that I can afford. It is completely bone stock so I have some work to do on it.

I’ve been reading the threads here and increasing my knowledge of this bike. I’ll be asking some basic questions show please show some patience with me. I’ll try to keep the stupid stuff to a minimum.

thanks again,
Jim

Last edited:
Hey Jim, a big welcome to the forum! Thanks for sharing your story and kudos to you for choosing to live your life to its maximum regardless of what you've been told. I am sure we're all looking forward to answering any questions you might have and please do post up ride reports along the way. I know we've got a few members in Ohio so maybe there's an opportunity for an FZ group ride at some point for you.

I'd also love to see some photos of all the amazing bikes and things you've done with them over the years!

Dustin

Welcome to the forum Jim. Please post up some pics of your bike when you get a chance.
Good on you for not lying down and having the courage and determination to get back out there again. Enjoy your new ride.

Sent from my Moto G (4)

Welcome Jim! Remember, the only stupid question is the one you *don't* ask. We promise, we're not like other forums who harass you or tell you to go search. These guys all love to help here, as do I. Welcome to the FZ1!

Welcome aboard. I'd also love to see some pics of your past adventures and wish you all the best with your future adventures on the FZ1.

Just wanted to welcome you to the forum. I think you'll be happy getting to know your FZ1 as long as you've changed from the stock seat. Bet of luck with your chemo and radiation treatments.

Welcome Jim,

Great bike, great forum with very helpful members.

Live to ride, and enjoy every minute.

We would love to see some pics of your ride.

Cheers,
Mac.

A big forum welcome Jim. That sucks what your going through, but I commend you on your attitude. I'm glad your taking advantage of what time you have left. I wish you all the fun in the world with your new FZ1. Ditto on the pics!

Back