Need to Refinish Carbon Fiber in Clearcoat

BroHay

Stihl Loves Trees
Well, I have all the CF pieces available (at the time of production) for the Gen I FZ (front fender/side covers/airbox/upper fairing inserts and chain guard). The finish is all but failed and I'm getting ready to repaint the bike and want to bring life back in the CF pieces.

I've slowly chisled away at the existing finish (epoxy?) with finger nails and pressure washing and the only finish that remains is in those hard to reach areas that aren't readily visible.

My question(s) are as follows: wanting to clearcoat.....but open to any other ideas....

• Does anyone have any experience refinishing CF to maintain its original look w/o just painting over it?
  • Can one wet sand (as long as you don't expose fibers)?
  • Anyone every tried it?

I decided to go skunk, with the second set of body work, and wanting to dress everything up to turn some heads as I blaze on by....

Thanks,
BroHay

Last edited:
I took a look at my MIVV Suono to see what the CF on it looked like and I can't tell any type of finish. It just looks like black flattened fabric. I assume that most of the parts offered have some type of resin based fnish but I'm not sure what it may be. I tried to do some research on the internet and they talk about the actual process but I couldn't find anything about a finish.

I've removed pretty much all of the gel coat finish from my existing CF. It is in its unprotected, raw form. W/o the protective covering, the carbon will start to yellow due to the breakdown of the resin. Hence the clear/gel coat to inhibit UV penetration (guess more like reduce)

I'm trying to stop that from happening, and my reason for my question is because I need to remove the last little bit of failed finish before applying a new gel coat or several clearcoats.

Guess I'm just gonna half to bite the bullet and try sanding to remove remaining finish before applying new clearcoats. Start with 800 grit and get no coarser than 400 (maybe 320) and then work my way back up.

When I tackle, I'll post pics for progress. However, in the meantime, if someone else has some information, it would be greatly appreciated!

BroHay

Last edited:
So I started tackling the CF yesterday and the first target was a side cover on the right side.

Pay attention to the paper you have laying around b/c a piece of 180 is what I grabbed and the remaining finish was flying right off. Switched to 400 before any real damage was done and the only traces I have remaining are in those nooks/crannies that are not visibly seen. I'll get there, I just have to wait for my boys to eat some popsicles.

I'll get pictures of some of the other pieces as I tackle them. When I rinse the CF piece off, if it is any indication of what the finish will look like with water, then methinks I'm going to be golden!

BroHay

I just don't want to have to remove the finish all over again if I mess things up. Patience....PATIENCE.

At least when I know that I'm done, I'll have saved close to 250.00 b/c that is what the local shop wanted to charge me. (less the 5.00 pack of paper and the clearcoat)

BroHay

Anyone got a recommendation for an epoxy coat? And have they had any success brushing it on or spraying? Possibly more sanding in my future between coats??

BroHay

Last edited:
There must be an article somewhere on the websphere that advises on how to refurbish CF.

Without having done any research as yet on the subject I thought that the original finish was the gel coat that is applied to the mould in the first instance?

If you've now abraded that surface I would have thought that a standard two pack clear coat would give good results. I'll make it some bedtime research and see what it's all aboot.

Oh, I've read, and varying e-pinions on what can/can't be done. I've done the side covers and the airbox covers -- and sanded all of the finish off (sure not to expose any fiber) and will swing by and p/u some sort of gel coat. And depending upon which side of the fence you are on, I'm either on the golden path or the path of destrction.

Just what the family needs, me to stink up the garage even more.....don't know what they are going to do when I start fiddling with the extra set of body parts to paint....

ok...where is the sign on my back...? Just did a dry run with the spray setup (mainly checking to see if my compressor could keep up with the demand) and happy to report that step 1 of 3 for countdown to d-day is complete.....

I'll do a test run on an old windshield to see if I'll be successful...

BroHay

Back