Need Help Diagnosing an issue

Okay, last night my buddy came at me with an issue and I am unsure how to diagnose it.

While he tries to jump on the throttle, or dump the cluth and power wheelie, the bike will rev up to 8k (no longer on the clutch) before any power gets transmitted to the wheel. He said it feels as if the rear tire is just spinning, but it's not. (That's what it feels like in the grips, not like the rear end is giving out).

Also, he said today, while on the freeway he tried to downshift into 4th and take off to pass a car. He said when he downshifted and got on the throttle it did the same thing. It revved up to about 8k before it started making noticable power at the rear wheel.

I "assumed" that the clutch is slipping, does this sound right? I could be totally off, in which case, everyone can just

lolup

Could this be as bad as the transmission grenading?

Nope, nothing more nothing less than a slipping clutch. He should replace the friction plates right away before he ends up warping the steel plates as well. Probably caused by too many wheelies ;)

Well, there is another possibility... worn front sprocket and a loose chain where, under normal load, will catch and drive the wheel and under load, will skip/slip on the sprocket. Of course, just a few of these 8K dumps and it soon will not drive the chain at all.

Take a look at both though. Both are possible and considering he's a stunta, it could be equally both.

not a difficult job. Make sure the steel plates get replaced too. If it's slipping that badly they're probably badly scored (bluish) or warped as well.

Also, I always recommend OEM Friction plates and springs. Other brands often have a different stiffness in clutch pull and don't last as long.

Best of luck.

Back