Need FZ1 sticker removal help.

Hi FZ1 brothers and sisters. A few months ago I picked up a 2001 Skunk with just over 3000 miles. It has the lower fairing and I love the looks and ride of the bike. Certainly the fastest thing I've ever owned.

For whatever reason, I'm anti sticker. The bike has the cool old school YAMAHA emblem on the tank, but I can't stand the swoopy fz1 sticker on the front fairing.

I've removed stickers like this before and it's usually pretty easy with a hair dryer, or on a hot day. This one doesn't want to come off. I worked for an hour with my thumbnail and only have about an inch gone. Goo Gone or WD-40 won't permeate the sticker.

Has anybody done this? If so, are there any tricks?

Thanks for any help.

Louky.

Wow! That's strange that the heat gun wouldn't get that decal off. I would take the Goo Gone on a rag and saturate the outside of the decal and leave it to soak a while. I'd be careful if using a heat gun as too much heat may ruin the paint. Maybe a combination of the two methods? I never had an issue using the heat gun on the low setting at 5 or 6 inches from the surface. Let us know how it goes, and post some shots of the Skunk!

so.... they didn't make a 2001 Skunk.

If it's a 2001, it should say "YAMAHA" on the tank, not have the logo.

As for getting the stickers off, I always used Citrus Based Goo Gone and heat. I'd work across the top of the sticker and at least get a lip peeled down about 1/8 inch. from there, spray the Goo Gone above the sticker and let it sink down to the area you've got pulled open. Every 30 seconds or so, work your way across the top of the sticker where the Goo Gone has worked its magic on the adhesive, and let it soak down to the next piece of adhesive.... it's a somewhat arduous task, but well worth it to avoid taking it off in 1mm chunks.

All of the above advice is spot-on. I'm willing to bet that the reason you're having a particularly hard time is because the sticker in question has been on there for over a decade and has done plenty of baking in the sun.

From my experience, the longer it's on there and the more it's exposed to sun, the harder it is to remove.

You're probably having trouble with it cracking and flaking instead of peeling, since it's so old. But once you get the top layer off and are left with the adhesive mess underneath, drench a rag with rubbing alcohol and dab the stuff until it gets gummy. Rub toward the center of the gummy area using your fingers or another chamois or rag, pulling off the accumulated blobs as they gather. Do this gently so you don't scratch the paint/clearcoat. Dab with the alcohol to keep things gooey, and you'll gradually get it thinned enough to wipe the last film right off.

That's how I got the corny script "FZ1" decals off my fairing.

Careful

I used 3M adhesive remover (03618) on my gen2. It is safe for paint but do not spray it anywhere near your bike or car. Spray it on a rag. I accidentally ruined a blinker lens and got some spots on the inner fairing because it sprays out fast. Before trying this stuff I was just using my thumb nail and managed to chip the paint. I was shocked and furious with myself. Luckily it is barely noticeable.

Thanks everyone. It looks like from the replies, I should try the Goo Gone and let it soak awhile. I'll reply back with the results.

VA_Rider, regarding the Skunk. I thought black with the gray frame made it a Skunk, but I see that I was wrong. Did they only make the Skunk in 2004?

Thanks again.

Yep. The skunk was 2004 only. In 03, they made the black and yellow "bee" on a black frame... They did certain special models at various times... I think there was a throwback silver one in 08 with some special graphics or something like that.

Note II

Back