My Current Experience with Yamaha

I'm finding more and more with regards to motorcycle maintenance, "if you want something done right, do it yourself"

.....just be prepared to pay for it if you mess it up....

For me, I think it's more a matter of trusting myself more than some mechanic in a dealership. I understand however when you purchase a brand new bike, that you would like to get the service that comes along with the purchase. My bike was used when purchased so I just feel more comfortable doing the maintainence myself. It also gets you familiar with the workings of the bike which is a plus should you happen to find yourself stuck one day on the side of the road.

I agree with the posts that say dont worry ... be happy. Yamaha's are well built machines. It would take (IMHO) much more than missing the first or second service to seize up the engine or destroy forever the bike. You have a fine bike. Change it every 2,500 to 3,000 miles going forward and enjoy your purchase.

I have to say though, that I am disappointed in hearing any shop ... any bike ... would discourage anybody from the initial 600 mile service. Unless you begin to feel anything wrong of course, and I doubt you will, your fine.

Someday in the future, when you buy a new bike or add another bike to
your garage, change out that oil after 100-200 miles, then perhaps 400, then 600 then 1000. I mean thats what I do.

Most owners will change oil / oil filter 2-4 times within the first 1000 miles - whatever any manual says. Just my two cents. I could be totally wrong.

ride on!

Your pretty much "dead on" Two Wheels. The weather is too nice to be worrying about something that will probably never happen. Get out, enjoy the bike, put on the miles, and continue to change your oil at regular intervals. Life is too short.

The reason the oil should be changed at 600 miles is because the cylinders have a cross hatch pattern in them and dureing break in the pistons smooth these out and seat in the cylinder walls. This in turn causes metal shavings to appear in the oil during the first 600 miles. Thats why the interval is so short. Your oil will actually look like it has glitter in it. Some people actually put a magnet on the oil filter to keep these shaveings in the filter because they can be so fine they pass through the filter. There is actually some controversy on break in and some people say you should do it on a dyno and rev it up close to red line in intervals. Otherwise the rings will not get seated well and the cylinder walss could become glazed. I personally didn't go over 5000rpm dureing the first 500 miles(well maybe once or twice lol). My dealership changed my oil at 550 miles because I took it it in early mainly because the oil looked pretty black. I then changed it myself at 1100 miles with castrol motorcycle oil and a puralator filter from pep-boys. Then at 2100 miles decided to go synthetic and changed it again useing Shell Rotella-t 5w-40 and a new puralator filter. My bike has never shifted better.
It sounds like your bike is running pretty strong so I wouldn't worry about it too much. If you do have a problem down the road there is plenty of documentation to prove what they did was wrong, to back you up in a legal situation if it came to that. Just search around. Good luck and enjoy the ride.
Another thing when I took my bike in for the 600 mile service I think the only thing they did was change the oil, and charged me $145.00 to boot. So I don't know what they did for you or what they charged but my guess is nothing. That is the main reason I started changeing my own oil. I called the dealership to take it in for the 3k mile service because I figured they could check the chain tension,clutch play,etc. but I didn't want them to change the oil because I just put synthetic in. I asked them what they did for the 3k service and they said pretty much just change the oil. So I pretty much am going to do my own maintenance instead of paying $145.00 for an oil change. By the way I get my filters at pep-boys for around $6.00 and a gallon of the Shell rotella-t in blue container at wal-mart for $19.99.

Last edited:
Back