Multi Gague - "Gauge of Eternal Coolness" :D

I think it's one of the most desirable upgrades for the FZ1. I primarily wanted this for the gear indicator. Why this is not standard equipment - I will never understand. There are several options on the market but I just didn't like those little add on units that you have to stick to the speedo. I know a lot of folks run those and that's fine, it's just not what I wanted. So if you are looking for an upgrade during the cold weather - I would recommend the Multi Gauge. Price is around $200. Here is what's involved.

IMAG0761.jpg

For anyone who has not heard of the Gauge of Eternal Coolness" :

The unit can do the following :
Gear Indicator ( no more shifting to the non - existant 7th gear. . . lol)
Water temperature
Ambient Air temp.
Fuel
Voltage
Accelleration meter
1/4 miles time
Integrated Speedo healer (option)

US System or Metric (can be switched from one to the other by the push of a button)

:thewave:

Before and after:

Before:

IMAG0661.jpg

After :

IMAG0664-1.jpg

It's worth every penny. Quality construction and the designer is a real nice guy. I highly recommend this upgrade. In fact, I would recommend jumping on this because Christian (the inventor) stopped making them for a few years. THEY ARE IMPOSSIBLE TO FIND USED. Quite simply - no one sells them. Well - I did see one or two in the classifieds but they were snatched up in a few minutes. Good luck with that approach.....I tried for 2 years.
There is some assembly required. I got stuck because Pat's Site has the older version detailed. LOL I sh*t a rock when I was soldering my wires and got down to the last 3 and they were different colors than the pictures. :eek5::eek5: So let me save you the trouble. Here are the updated plans.

http://cvieth.bplaced.net/Multi gauge V8 installation.pdf

This will also give you an idea of what you are getting into. However, the people who have done it rate this as not too bad. I would say a 4 out of 10 on the Do IT Yourself Scale. I had to buy a soldering iron (I prefered the 20 watt) and some 60/40 solder. I preferred the .062 diameter solder. It was just easier for me to work with.
Here are some pics of my assembly:

The way the gauge arrives:

IMAG0570-1.jpg

Speedo disassembled:

IMAG0659.jpg

One pointer. I love my Dremel and use it often so when I saw in the directions to use a hacksaw blade I thought these were just some old guys who used hacksaw blades. LOL Well I should have known that there was a reason. The Dremel will not cut all the way through during this step. So if you are a Dremel user like me - I recommend using your Dremel to cut through to the this point - then use the hacksaw blade to finish it off. I also used my Dremel to smooth out the cut and make sure it was level. Note: This is not a super important step but I just thought I would mention it.

IMAG0658.jpg

Finally - I did have some help. Christian was really good about returning emails. Wolftamer also helped me out and pointed me in the right direction. Big thanks to those two. I also had some on site supervision:

IMAG0663.jpg

OK - the rest of the info is in the plans or on Pat's Site and both of those guys explain better than I do so I won't repeat the info.

Pat's Site:

Pat's Motorcycle Page

Christian's Site:

index

Original thread on the other site:

Gear/Air/Water/Fuel / Battery / Speedohealer /Digital Speed Gauge all in one - UPDATE - FZ1OA Message Board

Last edited:
I love mine! I don't know how I got along without it. Glad to see you got it installed.

I know what you mean. Every once in a while I would try to shift into 7th gear :D Now I don't have to worry about that. I LOVE the gear indicator. That is just an amazing piece of equipment.
Thanks again for your help.

Last edited:
Wished they had something that cool for the Gen II ;) There was a neat gear indicator being made, but the guy stopped making it :(

I feel your pain. I had to wait a few years for Christian to start making these suckers again. It was impossible to find one used.
LOL
I was really worried about burning a hole in my board so I bought a used speedo just in case I messed up. So I guess I can dig it out of the store room and sell it on Ebay (or the forums). That will help recover from the bills I built up with Christmas. ;)

Last edited:
The great add-on

I know what you mean. Every once in a while I would try to shift into 7th gear :D Now I don't have to worry about that. I LOVE the gear indicator. That is just an amazing piece of equipment.
Thanks again for your help.

I have found it fantastic, it has exceeded my expectations, the last add- on was a Audiovox vacum cruise control, this i cordinated with doing ravenriders jet kit.
most riders will not need it , but for me i get excessive pins & needles in my right forefinger.
So i think I am content, 02 FZ1- Gustaffuson higher fairing, Jet kit, multigage,
Yamaha full fairig and rear shock , also a rear trunk. At this point i have held of on saddle bags and so far it seems the way to go.
P.S. I have also found running pilot 2CT really great. Foe me it has turned a great machine into a perfect one.
Merry Xmas

Have just ordered and paid for mine....

:D the one and only "Multi gauge of Ultimate Coolness"...

Christian now has some in stock again

Can't wait... !! 8)

Silverdream

Multigauge on GenI

I had just ordered two displays from this guy. He lives next door (germany). I'm going to have new firmaware inside mine with fuel consuption (plus the regular features). Price was very reasonable 135 EUR incl. shipping to Prague (cca 10 EUR). Can't wait to install and test the new feature-when it stops snowing here!
Will upload some info when tested.

Gauging interest . . .

So . . . . . .

If there were a US production run of Multigauges made, how many of you folks would be willing to sign up?

It could definitely happen, if there is adequate interest.

Back