Moving to a FZ1 TE perhaps

kuiperk

I am currently riding an '05 R1, and have been looking at the FZ1 which seems to be a natural progression as I get too uncomfortable on long trips.

Just wondering if anyone else is riding an '07 or '08 FZ1 with luggage and cowling to get their thoughts.

Also wondering if the speedo can be switched from KM/H to MPH on a canadian version.

Have gone in to see the '08, but have not been able to ride as I have missed the demo days around here. The sales staff that I talk to don't always have all the info that you need before buying.

Thanks all.

Welcome hope you enjoy the site ive always found the more upright riding position better on long journey's although the fz1's not the most commfy but you can get gel seats !
love the quote :):D:):D

Last edited:
kuiperk, I haven't heard of anyone with a FZ1 TE, but I have one, sort of anyway. It's not offered here in the states, but I bought a FZ1 locally, then bought all the pieces to make it a "TE" through a dealer in Canada. Got it 2 weeks ago, so I only have 2500 miles on it, but I love it. Just rode it on back to back 400 + miles days and it was fine. I had a VFR 800 with the factory Honda bags, which are made by Givi, and I like the FZ a lot better. The bags are better quality and a lot better looking than the Givi's, but a little smaller. Probably don't need the tall windshield in the warn weather but it will be nice this winter. Don't know about the gel seat, thinking about getting it or a Sargent. It can be switch from KM/H to MPH with the press of a button.

Yes, only availably in Europe and Canada, Go to Yamaha Canada's website, it shows it. Factory hardbags, tall windshield, and full fairing. Windshield and fairing can be purchased in US as accessories, but bags can not, must get then from a dealer outside this country. Yamaha would not sell them to my dealer even though he had the part number.

Welcome Kuiperk, glad to have yet another member on board. We'll be as big as FZ1OA sometime soon if it keeps up this way! More and more great people each day talking FZ's. Thats what it's all about.

Here's a couple pictures, hardly shows in the picture but the "FJR 1000" is outlined in black. The stuff on the handlebars are a Garmin Zumo and a radar detector and a garage door remote. It has the standard windshield on it here, I'll put the touring one back on when the weather gets cooler.

View attachment 482 View attachment 483

Last edited:
Have to say that your bike leaves a better impression than the factory site. Maybe it is just the red vs. the blue (even though I prefer blue)

Sweet looking ride, and thanks for the quick education in the FZ1 "TE" by all.

Adam

This looks kinda cool but after knocking out 4600 miles in 12 days with the middle three days spent looking at houses, I'll tell you that a gel seat or something like one is necessary for high mileage touring. I use a duffle bag that will more than likely hold more than those glass bags because I've had that type of accessory. They look good but have very limited capacity. The larger shield is also a necessary item for long distance wind fighting. I just ordered a Yamaha gel seat and it was $178.09 including shipping. By the way, Brohay can attest that I can get two weeks of changes, tools, and even my chain cleaning/lubing supplies in one duffle bag. For anyone who wants to go full-on touring (kitchen sink style) you need something larger than a FZ1.

I am currently riding an '05 R1, and have been looking at the FZ1 which seems to be a natural progression as I get too uncomfortable on long trips.

Just wondering if anyone else is riding an '07 or '08 FZ1 with luggage and cowling to get their thoughts.

Also wondering if the speedo can be switched from KM/H to MPH on a canadian version.

Have gone in to see the '08, but have not been able to ride as I have missed the demo days around here. The sales staff that I talk to don't always have all the info that you need before buying.

Thanks all.
Compared to the R1 the FZ1 is a dream as far as comfort in concerned. I have an 08' and I love it. I can ride all day long and not get uncomfortable. The R1 is a great bike, my brother has one, an 05' I think, but when we ride together, he has to stop and rest/ stretch way before I feel the need to do the same. I think the newer model seats are just fine, but A gel seat might be even better.

Bags, mounts, locks, $1765 Canadian. ($1,526 USD )

https://www.yamahagenuineparts.com/...age=1&shopcat=accessories&start=3&Class=Sport Bike&Year=2008&Model=FZ1&NumRecords=30

:wtf: Wa Wa Wa What!! Actually, I called a shop in Langley BC (I live about 3 hrs away) this morning for prices. When they quoted me $685.95 PER BAG , plus $296.95 for the rack for a total of $1667.75 CN ($1450 US) and not incl. shipping or locks, I realized I'd be taking a hard look @ Givi PLX set up- about $750 and incl. BOTH BAGS , rack and shipping.

I wonder why Yamaha charges so much? When I was interested in a VFR, I remember the hard bag luggage for the VFR was about $1000- which is expensive enough.

Oh, BTW, really nice looking set-up and bike you have there.

Last edited:
Back