More suspension goodness

so... My forks are due for a service... I had a seal start leaking on me last year, which, cleaning the seal with a piece of 35mm film fixed that... but, I'm really not willing to take any chances on the seal failing on me in the middle of this season, and having to take the bike off of the road for something that could have been avoided through preventative maintenance.

So... considering that it's been freezing here... and I really don't feel like doing the service... I was thinking about other options... since I have had the Traxxion treatment up front already with a re-valve and re-spring, I don't exactly trust my local shop to go ahead and service my forks... so... I have spring break coming up from March 5th-13th...

I figured.. why not... I'm going to spend a day or two of my spring break traveling down to Atlanta and having my forks serviced... then... I thought some more... and figure... if I'm making the trip all of the way down there... I may as well get the AK-20's installed right?

So... I shot an e-mail to Lee at Traxxion, and he filled me in on his schedule... so.. things are looking good... I'll give him a call tomorrow or so to iron out all of the details... but, I should be starting off this season with a fresh set of AK-20's installed up front.. and possibly some new springs... That should complement the Penske on the rear much better... What I have now isn't bad... but... it can always be better...

Since I'll be going in person this time, instead of mailing off... I should be able to get pictures of the whole process and pick Lee's brain for some good info... I'll be sure to share it all here...

Looks like both of our forks stand to be there at the same time.

Getting service and the first gen spring swapped out to the second, but I don't have he scratch to spring for the ak's.

On a different note, did a quick turn/burn to experience the penske.....:cloud9:

Looks like both of our forks stand to be there at the same time.

Getting service and the first gen spring swapped out to the second, but I don't have he scratch to spring for the ak's.

On a different note, did a quick turn/burn to experience the penske.....:cloud9:

yes... Penske = Awesomeness.

I wasn't aware of a different generation of spring... I'll have to ask about that... although.. I think the AK-20 kit comes with a new set of springs anyhow...

If I see your forks there, I'll say "hi" to them...

I'm picturing in my mind the use of a piece of film, and the film 'teeth' cleaning up the lips on the seals. One trick I hadn't heard of or seen used. Mabe for the novices in that, a bit more instruction of the method briefly....I'm sure some are currious how its done.

I can provide pictures of that process... or possibly a video... it's not too bad to clean the seals with film... you have the right idea... but I'll make a way to show the process either by video or pictures

I've got to go over to my buddy's house where the bike is living for the winter... so... the pictures / videos might take a little while to get up... but... I'm not heading over there till about 10:30 this morning... (he likes to sleep in for some reason...) so... until 10:30 I'll take your ideas for what you'd like to see...

Aaron, I think it would be beneficial to get as many different pics or a full video to edit. A lot of riders would not attempt this and take the bike to a mechanic. A well played video and descriptive pics might give people the confidence to do this on their own. I'd do it myself regardless... but I love to wrench. :D

Wish I was there to watch/help/assist! Instead, I'm stuck two states from home visiting relatives and dreaming bikes. :(

Must be something in the air. Now that I got my clutch fixed and the bike running, just dropped off my 01 this morning for fork re-spring/service and to get a certain rebuilt Fox double-clicker put on.
Since this will be my only street bike for awhile, went with a shop rather than screw it up myself.

Glad to see that someone else does not have the luxury of getting to install things the minute postal/brown/fedex drops it off at the door.

Hope you enjoy the improved ride!

Last edited:
Back