Mixing Front-Rear Tires

WMU_BRONCO

I currently have Pirelli Diablo Strada tires on my FZ1. They were both in very good shape, but I just picked up a screw in the rear tire. I had it plugged and it doesn't seem to be leaking. However, I am going to replace the rear. Problem is the Strada is no longer available. The Angel is Pirelli's latest sport touring tire. Since I will now have a miss-match in front/rear tires, should I go with the Pirelli Angel to at least have the same brand front and rear, or should I consider something different on the rear? Appreciate your opinion.

If you ride conservatively you probably won't notice any difference with mixed tires, but reputable sources generally say to use the same model tire front and rear for predictable handling and safety. If the tire is properly patched/plugged and you don't plan on taking it to the track or riding at high speeds for extended periods of time I would say to just ride the current tire until it wears out and replace the pair of tires at that point. Just my 2 cents.

X2 on the patch, I was told to stay below 120. :) my patch lasted right up until I had a bald back tire and changed it. I mixed tires, because the front in general, for me, lasts around 12,000, and the back was around 8,000(on the stock) But I like to run more touring friendly tires for my style of riding. I do some hard riding, but a lot more just touring around stuff. I did replace the front with the same brand and kind of tire as the back when it was time to do the front. It depends on you I suppose, I like to get all the mileage I can out of a tire. :)

If you are wanting to get the matching rear tire try performance cycle of colorado they usually have great deals on discontinued tires and they usually have a decent stock of them as well.

Most important is to try and remain with the same type of compound for the set. A soft rear and a hard front would be squirrelly! Same in reverse.

I'd take the tire off and have a vulcanized patch put on the inside with the plug still in place. As stated, so long as you are not a speed demon or track junkie, you should be able to wear the tire out and replace as a set. ;)

I currently have a Pilot Road 2 on the front with a dunlop d208 on the back and have no problems whatsoever. I picked up a nail in a brand new battalax in the mountains years ago. Plugged it on the side of the road and rode the tire till it was ready to replace

Back