Miss at idle and low rpm

Hey all, new here, not to motorcycles, I was an FZ6 guy years back and am looking at a FZ1 to keep the F800GS company in the garage. The issue I'm having is the one I am looking at has a stuttering off idle and no power below 3k. I'm thinking coils, is there something else I should be looking at?

Same Issue

Hey Everyone,

FZ1 2009 w/ 20k miles

Just bought the bike about 2 weeks ago and maybe put 100 miles on it.

I am having the same problem. Bike starts well, but at low RPM (<5k) there is a miss. You can feel the bike occasionally gain power when the cylinder fires, and rides great at higher RPM. There is no issue with shifting or overheating. I checked the exhaust after letting it run for a minute or so and found one pipe to be cool. I got a spare good coil from a friend who also has an FZ1 and threw that on, but no dice. Pulled the plugs after that and found the threads to have some oil, but the electrodes are in good shape. I plan to change the plugs in the next few days.

Since this is a new bike, I am also doing a full fluid change. Removed the radiator and drained the coolant. There was oil in the coolant and it smelled like it hadn't been changed in a very long time. Pulled the oil plug and removed the filter, and there was barely any oil in the engine. Needless to say I am a bit alarmed.

Based on how well it starts, and the lack of smoke, I don't think it is a head gasket. I am wondering if anyone knows how the oil would end up in the coolant like this. Or, am I just paranoid. I bought the bike from a dealer and they said it checked out. I am wondering if it just sat a while after being ridden hard by the previous owner.

Anyway, thanks for the help.

Hey Everyone,

FZ1 2009 w/ 20k miles

Just bought the bike about 2 weeks ago and maybe put 100 miles on it.

I am having the same problem. Bike starts well, but at low RPM (<5k) there is a miss. You can feel the bike occasionally gain power when the cylinder fires, and rides great at higher RPM. There is no issue with shifting or overheating. I checked the exhaust after letting it run for a minute or so and found one pipe to be cool. I got a spare good coil from a friend who also has an FZ1 and threw that on, but no dice. Pulled the plugs after that and found the threads to have some oil, but the electrodes are in good shape. I plan to change the plugs in the next few days.

Since this is a new bike, I am also doing a full fluid change. Removed the radiator and drained the coolant. There was oil in the coolant and it smelled like it hadn't been changed in a very long time. Pulled the oil plug and removed the filter, and there was barely any oil in the engine. Needless to say I am a bit alarmed.

Based on how well it starts, and the lack of smoke, I don't think it is a head gasket. I am wondering if anyone knows how the oil would end up in the coolant like this. Or, am I just paranoid. I bought the bike from a dealer and they said it checked out. I am wondering if it just sat a while after being ridden hard by the previous owner.

Anyway, thanks for the help.

you have to go back to the dealer with the issue. you need to make them show you the pre-sale inspection report. a bike without oil after 100 miles is not okay. flush the coolant system. flush the oil. oil on the plug is not good. swap spark plug and coil pack with the cylinder next to it and make sure the problem doesn't follow it. you may have been sold a lemon.

also, you have two options, fix your bike yourself, or force the dealer to deal with it. if you start messing around with it, they're gonna say you did it, not our problem. so, you have some choices to make. sounds like you have a serious issue with the bike and it needs to be addressed.

if you flush the coolant system and find more oil in it, you're boned

you have to go back to the dealer with the issue. you need to make them show you the pre-sale inspection report. a bike without oil after 100 miles is not okay. flush the coolant system. flush the oil. oil on the plug is not good. swap spark plug and coil pack with the cylinder next to it and make sure the problem doesn't follow it. you may have been sold a lemon.

also, you have two options, fix your bike yourself, or force the dealer to deal with it. if you start messing around with it, they're gonna say you did it, not our problem. so, you have some choices to make. sounds like you have a serious issue with the bike and it needs to be addressed.

if you flush the coolant system and find more oil in it, you're boned

Well I can't say I am pleased to hear that, but thanks for answering so quick. I am going to hold off on tearing into this bike further. I have also contacted the dealership asking for the service records. Plug service should obviously be on the record and I can't believe selling a bike with oily plugs is alright. I'll do a coolant flush this weekend after the oil change and plugs. I'll see if the oil still migrates to the coolant after running for a bit.

Again, thanks for the answer, you've been a big help.

BTW, Fox Powersports in Grand Rapids in case anyone wanted to watch out.

Well I can't say I am pleased to hear that, but thanks for answering so quick. I am going to hold off on tearing into this bike further. I have also contacted the dealership asking for the service records. Plug service should obviously be on the record and I can't believe selling a bike with oily plugs is alright. I'll do a coolant flush this weekend after the oil change and plugs. I'll see if the oil still migrates to the coolant after running for a bit.

Again, thanks for the answer, you've been a big help.

BTW, Fox Powersports in Grand Rapids in case anyone wanted to watch out.

yeah when you go in and say hey why was their oil in the freaking coolant eh? you gotta fix this or i need my money back. you'll probably get your money back because it's probably cheaper for them than fixing it so be prepared for that option as well

fyi Yamaha FZ1 Owners Association (FZ1OA) forum is far more active

yeah when you go in and say hey why was their oil in the freaking coolant eh? you gotta fix this or i need my money back. you'll probably get your money back because it's probably cheaper for them than fixing it so be prepared for that option as well

fyi Yamaha FZ1 Owners Association (FZ1OA) forum is far more active

Looks like the dealer is scheduling someone to come out and pick it up and take it in. Saves me a 150 mile drive. They said they would bear the cost if it was something they missed. Hopefully this isn't going to cost me too much.

All the same, thanks for the advice. I'll check out the other forum as well.

Back