Mirror Adjustments

I'm interested in seeing a little more of what's behind me when I'm riding. I have stock mirrors on my GenII. I've tried adjusting them out, in, and sideways. The best I've been able to do is get them to the point that if I tilt my head a bit I can see around my own arms and get a peak at what is going on. Seems safer that I would be able to just glance into my mirror and get the full picture. This is bad enough that sometimes a small car can hide in the blind spot.

Aside from putting on bar-end mirrors, has anyone solved this? I'm not an extraordinarily large guy (5'11, 220lbs) and can't be the first one to run into it.

Yamaha could have provided a better view to the rear by extending the mirror stalks outward and making the mirrors bigger but then aesthetics and practicality come into play. I think the stock mirrors are pretty good and provide a good look to the rear without unduly having to move your head and unless you have extremely wide shoulders they should work in most instances. I don't think bar end mirrors help the problem much because now you have to glance downward to see the mirrors. Compared to some of the European bikes (Ducati comes to mind) the FZ1 mirrors are excellent.

So I might be adjusting them wrong? I like the looks of the stockers and would prefer to keep them.

How much of my own arm should I be seeing? If I adjust them outward too much, then I have to tilt my head further away from center to get a view behind me. If I adjust them inward, I seem to just get a good view of my elbow and hand.

So I might be adjusting them wrong? I like the looks of the stockers and would prefer to keep them.

How much of my own arm should I be seeing? If I adjust them outward too much, then I have to tilt my head further away from center to get a view behind me. If I adjust them inward, I seem to just get a good view of my elbow and hand.

I have my mirrors set so I don't see any part of my arm. In order to see behind me I have to pull in my elbows a bit.

I think overall the FZ1 mirrors are pretty decent, especially when compared to most sport bikes out there.

Maybe you could try a small stick on fish eye, the "picture" wouldn't be great but at least you could probably see whats back there. I have cheapo ebay bar ends and love them.

I thought of the fish-eye, but you bring up a good point about the bar-end mirrors... They're cheap. I guess for $20 it might be worth trying some out!

The ones I have now were ten bucks a pair shipped. I got 2 pair at that time because the first ones were broke. I think they are great but the first thing to brake off in a fall over or all most any parking lot mishap, so I wouldn't spent a lot on them.

I had the same problem with seeing more of my arm/shoulder than whats behind with the stock mirrors. I tried a set of bar end mirrors and tbh the rear field of vison is much better with bar ends than standard... looks better too! Had to change the bar ends/weights tho as standard are tapered and my mirrors clamp on parallel surface only

dont know how theyd look on the fz1s tho.....

I think I'm going to order a set of those bar-ends from eBay. For $10, I don't see that I have a whole lot to lose (since I won't be spending it on fuel, with the arrival of a cold snap in Michigan). What do I do to cover the holes where the old mirrors were mounted? I saw some "mirror block off plates" on eBay, but they're $70! :wtf: Kind of defeats the purpose of going the cheap route on the mirrors, imo.

I should know better than to post without doing a little forum/google searching.

The question I have now is whether these are "structural." Would I be just covering some unsightly holes in the fairing, or do they help to hold the fairing in place?

I think I'm going to order a set of those bar-ends from eBay. For $10, I don't see that I have a whole lot to lose (since I won't be spending it on fuel, with the arrival of a cold snap in Michigan). What do I do to cover the holes where the old mirrors were mounted? I saw some "mirror block off plates" on eBay, but they're $70! :wtf: Kind of defeats the purpose of going the cheap route on the mirrors, imo.

I bought some rubber blanking grommets from a local hardware store, cost pennies for a bag of 10

Back