might just bring it to the mechanic

After working diligently on my bike, i have tried once again to get it running, to no avail. i think it might be time to hang up the tool belt and bring it to a shop so i can spend more time out riding it rather than working on it. put on mirrors, bike's looking good at least. i wanna ride!!!

31322_390505375727_645340727_4566633_3232198_n.jpg

31322_390503865727_645340727_4566615_2037891_n.jpg

31322_390503650727_645340727_4566614_264416_n.jpg

31322_390501645727_645340727_4566594_7680969_n.jpg

will it crank? got fuel? got spark? Is the ground under the seat / on top of the battery hooked up?

Give me some symptoms....

it has fuel in the tank, made sure i switched the petcock on when i put the tank back on the bike. disassembled and cleaned the crap out of the carbs. it started for about 1 second and then shut off. it did that 1 more time and then it wouldn't even come close to firing up. excuse my inexperience, but i am not sure what the ground is... also, when the bike is in gear and pull the clutch it is only able to move a little, instead of like when it is in neutral and when the bike started for those few brief seconds the bike jerked forward a bit, which makes me think the throttle cable might be too tight or something. i don't know, my inexperience with the mechanics is really starting to show hahaha

you've got to make sure gas is getting to the carbs... so... #1 listen for the fuel pump when you turn the key... if the pump is running, grab an allen wrench and loosen a drain bolt on the #1 or #4 carbs....

Next, you check for spark... grab plug wire #1 and pull it off the plug, get in there with the supplied spark plug tool in the tool kit and pull the plug... put the plug back into the boot, ground it out against the header bolt, and crank the bike.... look for a spark... if the plug looks black or smells like gas, replace your plugs....

Aaron gave you all good troubleshooting tips for the no start condition. Check it out for yourself before taking it to the mechanic. Might turn out to be something simple.

The other condition that you're describing leads me to believe that the clutch cable is not adjusted properly or the clutch discs have stuck together. If you pull in the clutch (while in gear) can you roll the bike back and forth? Might take some effort at first, but if the clutch is adjusted properly the clutch plates should break free of each other and you should be able to roll the bike.

Sounds to me like your carbs are out or sync?
Also next time you try to start it put the bike on its main stand so that the rear wheel can free wheel. If it is a clutch problem at least the bike should keep running with the rear off the ground but don't rev the thing to much.:tup:

I'm with V_A on listening for the fuel pump clicking first off. Another possability is the kickstand switch, mabe a malfunction or unpluged alltogather or got hashed/hit or snagged somehow. I'd also guess when you went to the streetfighter lighting, something took a while but went awray? Corrosion, or came unplugged?

I'm with V_A on listening for the fuel pump clicking first off. Another possability is the kickstand switch, mabe a malfunction or unpluged alltogather or got hashed/hit or snagged somehow. I'd also guess when you went to the streetfighter lighting, something took a while but went awray? Corrosion, or came unplugged?

yeah, that is possible. i noticed too that my fan kicks in right when i turn the key into the on position, which i didn't think was supposed to happen (never happened on any other bikes i have had, unless the bike was hot from riding). so maybe my wires are in fact screwed up.

What do you have for gauges?

GPS?
Some sort of retrofit?

Take some pics of the clutch/cable/endpoint on passenger side. Bthe routing could be in such a way that it is causing a bind since you are running naked and trying to have a clean look.....

Back