Metzeler Interact z8's

Phil_RC_1

I got 6018 miles out of the stock Pilot Road's. Just mounted a set of Metzeler Roadtec Z8 interact's last week, we'll see. So far they feel stable and planted. Better traction then the stockers in corners. I'm not a knee dragger (YET!) but my "chicken strip" is already narrower then the stock PR's and I'm only at 400 or-so miles on them.

I commute about 400 miles every week so I'm looking forward to finding a quality tire that'll give me more then 6k, hopefully these will.

I'll try to keep this thread updated as the miles accumulate.

Phil

Update: Well, Iv'e been out of town a lot on business, and I've been riding my other bike some, so in 2 month's I only have 2600 miles on the Z8's.

I still stand by my first impressions of these tires. Stable, planted, stuck-to-the-road feel, great traction (although I haven't "tested" their full potential;) ) The rear tire is just beginning to show signs of a flat center due to most of my miles are commuting on fairly straight roads.

More to come as the miles go up.

how's turning compared to other tyres ? like going into a corner ..

I call them more stable feeling, but others may say the tires are harder to turn-in. I'm no knee dragger, but I haven't had any issues with the tires.

I'll be doing a final report on these soon since I am getting very very close to the wear indicators. At this point, I'll just say that there are probably a few tires out there that offer a better value.

Tires Wear

Phil, when I bought my 2008 FZ1 the previous owner had replaced the tires with Michelin Pilot Roads 120/70 front and 180/55 rear. There is now close to 10,000 miles on those tires and I still have a bit of tread left. They are now the dual compound tires however like the Pilot Road 2 & 3's. But for commuting it sounds like they'd do you a good service.

I keep my pressures at 36 front, 40-42 rear. I am 6-1 and weigh about 240. and I've put about 5000 miles on them myself (the previous owner putting on the first 4-5000)

Weather turned out nice today so I got to ride in to work. My last post on these was a bit negative, but after I inspected the tires again today, I'm still a good bit from the wear-indicators, so I may end up getting quite a few more miles then I first suspected. We'll see!

BTW: for me, they still handle fine and braking traction is still great (Don't ask how I know,,,,,,,, SOME people,,, Geezzz!!!!:shaking head:)

BTW#2: I'm about 220lbs, run the front at 38, rear at 36-38, which is still within the recommended range. I'm thinking the higher pressure bulges the center more, which is great for corner carving. And lower pressures put more center tread on the road, which is what I want in order to get more mileage out of the tires with straight-line commuting.

Last edited:
It is finished

Well, I took these off with exactly 7900 miles. Odo read 6018 when I installed them, now it reads 13918 miles. The rear was just at the wear markers, might have pushed another 200-300 miles, but the new Avons came in so I went ahead and changed them out. The front still looked great, waaay from being at the wear markers. It could have possibly lasted through another rear tire.

Overall, I gotta give the Metz Z8's an +A. Great traction/handling, decent mileage. I would say that for a sport/touring tire, they lean a tad more toward "sport" then "touring". Hopefully the Avon Storm II's will handle just as good but get me to 10K.

So far the Avons feel great, a little easier turn-in "feel" then the Z8's but after coming off the flat centered Z8's and only 200 on the Avons, it's hard to judge any subtle differences yet. I guess I'll do another thread on the storm II's when I get a few more miles and time on them.

Back