[video=youtube;EzcgeHLZMvw]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EzcgeHLZMvw[/video]

Testing results

6th place: Michelin PR4
5th place: Conti Road Attack 2 EVO
4th place: Dunlop Roadsmart III
3rd place: Bridgestone T30 EVO
2nd place: Metzeler Roadtec Z8
1st place: Metzeler Roadtec 01

MCN straight up says the test was hosted by Metzeler/Pirelli so take from that what you will.

Last edited:
so either PR4's really are crap compared to these other tires and i have no idea what i'm missing, or BAHAHAHAHHA what a load of bollocks

they are testing the high load version of the tires so, they're heavier than the regular versions (usually stiffer sidewalls), makes a difference, but apparently only on some of these tires. also, they set the PSI to the BMW recommended spec for the bike (which are the metzeler z8's btw), but not the specific to the varying manufacturer recommended spec...also makes a big difference.

i like how they used the heavy load tires because they're "what you're most likely to use on a touring bike" but then, one of the reasons the PR4's got 6th was because it was too much like a touring tire and not sporty enough profile. which is true, it's not a sporty profile but i find that a bit hypocritical. use touring tires (on some) but test for sportiness on a sport bike and give negative feedback for lack of sporty feel...makes sense...

an FYI the Z8 is the OE tire on that bike, and the r1200rs is classified as a "sport" bike and not a "touring" bike, while it falls more under sports touring its true but which do you want, a sports tire or touring tire?

and more to note, the metzeler roadtec z8 interact c is the heavy load tire. they list the pr4 gt (heavy load option) but only list the standard z8, also, the bridgestone t30 evo (single ply) isn't the GT spec either.

dunlop roadsmart 3's were correct as the current options available are standard or SP for lighter bikes (single ply rear)

conti roadattack 2 evo, also not listed as GT version, which is available.

and, the roadtec 01 is replacing the z8, good on them that conveniently their newest tire outperforms the old one.

wheres the pirelli angel gt here? thats generally considered on par for most sport touring tires and in MCN's own reviews equal to the Dunlop Roadsmart 3

sorry, i'm bored at work and very much dislike MCN's testing for most things

grip being the same, according to him, then what was the criteria for the test? where are the 0-60-0 etc times? which ones stopped better or gripped better under acceleration? throw on the anti crash bars and how much lean angle do you get in the wet with each one? bah. sorry to poo on your post dustin

editing in: another comparison of the same tires with again, not great info, just results First Ride: Dunlop Roadsmart III tyres | MCN

also a review which included tire life https://touron2wheels.wordpress.com/2015/08/25/best-tires-2015-for-touring-motorcycles/
also 2014 Motorrad Touring Motorcycle Tyre Test - TyreReviews which has the metzeler z8 at the bottom next to avon (ouch)

Last edited:
Don't worry about pooing on my post, I posted it here specifically to see what y'all thought about it. As soon as I heard Metzeler/Pirelli was 'hosting' the event, I knew the winner was a foregone conclusion.

Quite frankly, this sort of obviously biased journalism bothers me. When you've got big companies flying journalists out to Ibiza to stay in a 5 star hotel and 'review' their latest bike; what kind of verdict is the public really going to expect? This video illustrates it perfectly.

There are still great journalists out there and publications like the German Motorrad magazine do a very thorough, very objective job, IMO.

I would only be interested if they showed actual life of the tires. As in how long can I TOUR on one set of tires before I have to buy another set....

No bad tires in this bunch

I think what you can take out of this video is that most people would be happy with any of the six choices....that the differences are fairly subtle. I've got a set on order with Revzilla...$50 rebate till end of April.

I was planning on going with Michelin PR4's but a riding friend of mine changed my mind. He was an avid PR4 user then he was one of the fortunate to receive a free pair of the Roadtec's about a month ago. He said the difference between the PR4's and the RT01's is quite dramatic....really likes the 01's a lot better. Turn in is much quicker, the tire is quieter....grip is excellent in both dry and wet....better than the PR4s.

After hearing his review and then doing some research, seems everyone who has tried them absolutely loves them. My current tires still have a bit of life left so it may be another month before I put them on....will report back.

Cheers!

After 1,000 miles on them......

I think what you can take out of this video is that most people would be happy with any of the six choices....that the differences are fairly subtle. I've got a set on order with Revzilla...$50 rebate till end of April.

I was planning on going with Michelin PR4's but a riding friend of mine changed my mind. He was an avid PR4 user then he was one of the fortunate to receive a free pair of the Roadtec's about a month ago. He said the difference between the PR4's and the RT01's is quite dramatic....really likes the 01's a lot better. Turn in is much quicker, the tire is quieter....grip is excellent in both dry and wet....better than the PR4s.

After hearing his review and then doing some research, seems everyone who has tried them absolutely loves them. My current tires still have a bit of life left so it may be another month before I put them on....will report back.

Cheers!

The Roadtec 01's are BRILLIANT! I've put them through their paces in some very demanding conditions...not one issue at all. Steering is ultra neutral....quick, but not too quick. I call them telepathic because you just THINK where you want to go and they do it. If I get 6k or more out of the rear I will be very happy and buy them again for sure. I have heard of another rider that has 4,500 miles on his set and they look great (in his words)....he believes he will get about 8k from them. Awesome tires!! Cheers....

In the United States MCN is Motorcycle Consumer News, a publication that doesn't accept advertisements or endorsements and plays pretty much down the middle. But when I see MCN stuff from the UK it always seems slanted to come to some sort of predetermined conclusion. The Brit m/c press always seem to be whinging and looking for faults. I gave up reading their stuff years ago.

Back