Marine Grade Power Plug Install

Because I'm "Grounded" this holiday weekend, I decided to get the power plug done so that when the bike is finished I'll be able to use the GPS. I measured the inner fairing insert and found that 8-1/2" from the rear most part going forward to the center of where the hole would be was the best place. There is nothing underneath and you have plenty of room to turn the handlebars with the plug in the socket. The only tools I needed was a drill and a 1-1/8" spade bit.

IMG_0070.jpg

I propped up the tank with a ratchet strap thrown over the rafter and a bungee attached to that.
IMG_0075.jpg

I drilled the hole in the insert and did a test fit. The plug sat nice and flush against the rubber grommet which seals any water from the socket.
IMG_0071.jpg

Next I started on the wiring. I used some heavier gauge wire from one of my HAM Radio set-ups which had an inline fuse. The positive cable went straight from the positive side of the battery and routed forward along the existing wiring loom, held down with cable ties.
IMG_0077.jpg

Once that was done I needed a solid ground to work with. I didn't like the horn mount, and I didn't want to tie into any of the lighting. I noticed the empty bracket on the frame where the AIS Pump used to sit. I ground down the paint to bare metal and used a stainless 1/4-20 nut and bolt to run the ground wire.
IMG_0080.jpg

I then routed the ground forward along with the positive and cable tied everything nice and neat. I used the terminal ends that came with the socket and was done with all the wiring.
IMG_0079.jpg

I used a dose of blue Locktite and fastened the socket in the insert and plugged in the wiring.
IMG_0083.jpg

I re-installed the fairing insert and was real pleased with how it looked. It was very inconspicuous.
IMG_0084.jpg

IMG_0074.jpg

Now for the moment of truth! I inserted the power plug and BINGO!, we had power!
IMG_0086.jpg

This was an easy install which anyone, no matter the know how, could do with no problem. It will make a nice addition to the bike, not only for the GPS, but for any other 12V item that you may need to use. (Cellphone charger, air compressor, etc.) I hope you like the write-up. I had a nice relaxing Sunday regardless of the fact that I couldn't ride.

Nice work there I will do the same one day. I always need some where to plug my phone in to charge (the droid likes it's battery power). I had been thinking about putting something on those panels. To me they are just asking to be modded.:cheers:

Great job with the pictorial and write-up Billy. Thanks! I have to do one myself. I'm still running the open pigtailed adapter that is zip tied to the wiring harness under the same inner fairing. I'm inspired now! :D

Ok Billy you inspired me to buy one of those tonight from eBay and will be installing it as soon as it arrives. Need a place to power my GPS. I was originally just going to hard wire it, but a cigarette lighter adapter can be used for so many other devices that it just makes more sense.

Back