Manuals

When I see some of the questions on this forum I have to wonder if anyone takes the time to read a manual any more. I know that when a person gets his/her brand new bike, the last thing they want to do is "read the manual" but after getting that first spin done, an hour or so going through the rider's manual will answer about 95% of the questions I see here. Even if you don't remember exactly where you saw something, you'll more than likely remember seeing the subject somehwere. For an example, how many people have either stalled or been unable to start there bike because the kill switch was left on or some other trigger was preventing the bike from starting or going. I myself, have stalled my bike several times because I had the sidestand down when I put it in first. As soon as I did it I remembered the buil-in kill switch and quickly fixed the problem. I have seen riders have simple things like this totally confuse them. Then when they figure out the problem their come-back is "I never read the manual" and more than likely that really means the manual hit the can within 15 minutes of getting the bike home. Save yourself some time and embarrassment, READ THE MANUAL! Be the person who can answer the question not ask the question.

Yes, I remember my experience with the kickstand. Pulled up onto the sidewalk in front of house with all the kids in the neighborhood. Wanted to leave bike on b/c it was to be a smash and grab. Spent 3 minutes sitting on the bike with them alm watchin me trying to figure out why it would not start.

Some of MY questions are related to my unfamilarity with the mechanical workings of the bike. I get the basis from the forum(s) and then try to find more in manual (which gives me the steps to correct) but not really the why and how.

I guess I'll find out here by the end of this weekend on whether I'm successful on my largest undertaking to date.....report at 11

Back