Making your bike Yours

It's a crappy day in Northen Michigan so I decided to give a few observations and a bit of wisdom.
Most riders want to make their motorcycle just a bit, or maybe a lot, different than the stocker they bought. When you get down to it, that's part of what makes the sport fun and interesting. The vast majority of riders I have met do it simply to change the bike to match their personality. A few make changes they believe will enhance the performance to match their ability. A damned few actually make performance changes that they can use to the fullest of the bike's capability. Most only imagine they have gotten to the point that their abilities are beyond the stock performance capacity of their motorcycle. That's not necessarily a bad thing as long as they don't get fooled into thinking they can't possibly get into trouble because they haven't gone beyond their own limtations. A track is a track and the road is the road. Anyone who thinks he can ride on a road anywhere close to the way it's safe to ride on the track is just plain nuts and will eventually end up severely maimed or DEAD. There are obstacles on our public roads, in quantity at that, which would never be allowed on a track during a race, and many of those are moving in all kinds of crazy ways. No "track day" or course of riding lessons can possibly prepare a rider for all the possibilities that could be encountered on the street. One reason is not all possibilities have happened, the world is a fluid place.
One last issue. Those parts you add to your bike do not increase it's value. If you want to recoup the value of your parts, take them off and see if you can find someone else who wants the same parts as you once did. All dealers and most knowlegeable riders laugh under their breath when you try to tell them how much more your motorcycle is worth because of the parts you added.

Last edited:
I cannot find anything to disagree with on this. Well said.

I do make the bike my own, and of course, never hope to recoup the costs of modding it. I keep all my stock parts just for that reason... the day I sell. The mods can be sold to make a little extra on the side.

As for riding, I ride "The Pace" on the street. A track day is coming so I hope to push my limits, but I also know that the FZ1 will not limit me, but I will limit the bike. After riding for the past 33 years, I know when to twist and when to brake. ;)

The last thing I'd like to add is ATGATT. Too many people wait until they have a crash before they go buy gear. Often, they have permanent scars to remind them. When I was given my first two wheel with a motor, my step Father gave me a helmet, glove and boots. He told me never to be caught out without them as well as jeans and long sleeves. I listened (ungeard of for an 11 yr old!) and I've never forgotten. Thus, dress for the crash, not for the ride. It is much easier to clean sweat than blood. Gear is just like insurance and sliders. You buy them in the hopes that they never get used for their intended purpose.

Ride safe all!

Back