Magnetic drain plug

That's the right size for a Gen1. I had no idea that a Gen2 would be different. Interesting.

For a Gen1, the final drive drain plug from the FJR fits and it's got the magnet on the end. Works fine.

:)

That's the right size for a Gen1. I had no idea that a Gen2 would be different. Interesting.

For a Gen1, the final drive drain plug from the FJR fits and it's got the magnet on the end. Works fine.

:)

These magnetic plugs loose their magnetism with heat, on my vmax the final drive drain plug completely lost its magnetism, I would suggest filtermag, the one that you stick to the oil filter, it has very strong magnets that do not get weaker with heat.

FilterMAG - JEGS

If you change your filter every time you change your oil you really don't need a magnetic plug. Won't hurt but isn't going to help much either.

If you change your filter every time you change your oil you really don't need a magnetic plug. Won't hurt but isn't going to help much either.

Most oil contaminants are not ferrous metal, the magnets will not really help and even if it catches some metal its already too late, its a good marketing gimmick, I fell for it:)

Most oil contaminants are not ferrous metal, the magnets will not really help and even if it catches some metal its already too late, its a good marketing gimmick, I fell for it:)

My concern is with the tranny debris and not the engine contaminates. I would rather collect the metal particles before they get into the system and make it to the filter. Most auto automatic transmissions have magnets in their oil pans even though they have filters. There's not enough heat in an engine to demagnetize a good rare-earth magnet otherwise our stator magnets would lose their power.

My concern is with the tranny debris and not the engine contaminates. I would rather collect the metal particles before they get into the system and make it to the filter. Most auto automatic transmissions have magnets in their oil pans even though they have filters. There's not enough heat in an engine to demagnetize a good rare-earth magnet otherwise our stator magnets would lose their power.

Change your oil regularly, don't miss shifts & don't expect the bike to last forever.
These oil drain plugs have inferior magnets, even the stock ones Yamaha makes for final drive shaft bikes.

a good oil filter should remove the metal shavings you're worried about, another alternative is to use Scott reusable cleanable filter, it has a built in magnet, price $130.00, this lets you inspect the filter element & magnet every oil change, it also flows oil with less resistance.

When starting the bike from overnight cold, oil is thick & cold, to deliver sufficient oil pressure & lubrication the oil filter bypass valve opens letting unfiltered oil to circulate so what are you going to do about that?

see link
Scotts Performance Products

Last edited:
Back