Lowering the Rear without changing the front?

The guy I sold my GenI to wants to know who has the hot set-up for lowering the rear on his (my old) 04? Now the real question is why am I on here asking questions for another grown man with his own computer and internet access? I guess it's cause it allows me to make short leg jokes at his expense and he'll never know it cause he's too short to reach the computer as well as too short in the inseam to put both feet flat on the ground at stop lights! So I put it to you gentlemen ( and any women who may actually read this forum and probably have even greater insight into this situation) he wants to drop it 1-2 inches he says, and needs to know where or from whom to get the parts as well as asking the all important questions such as: Will lowering the rear change front geometry? How will this effect braking? Tire wear? Besides the shock what other expensive parts will be needed to affect change and any other information any of you can give would be greatly appreciated! Hey Geezer, aint this your domain? Claim to fame?
Personally :D,:rolleyes:,:cool:

mmk.

he can lower the rear pretty easily with a new set of dogbones... if it was me, I'd go for the threaded adjustable set instead of the set with just holes in them... this allows you a greater range of adjustment without being tied into incremental measurements...

as for just doing the rear.... NO.

do the front too... even at stock height, the front is too tall. Many of us, after talking to suspension experts have figured out that lowering the front to (Taking it to 7mm... stock is about 3-4mm... so, you're not lowering it an additional 7mm, it's 7mm total) 7mm makes it a much better ride with better turn in and handling in general. So... if he lowers the rear an inch, he should lower the front 1" + 3-4mm ...

Lowering will affect the handling negatively overall, as it cuts down on ground clearance and whatnot, but this can be remedied with a good pair of rearsets. somewhat... also, lowering the bike had adverse effects on the kickstand and center-stand.

I don't flat foot the bike. Can't do it. I'm not short, I'm 5'9" or so... but with the Corbin seat, it just doesn't happen... so, either I'm on my toes at stop-lights, or leaned off to the side... that's what I'd recommend. tell him to get his butt off the seat to one side at stop-lights.

As someone who started out with lowered links, skipped factory, and went straight to raised links.

Have a ? for ya VA, in talking with members of the FZ1OA, they had recommended that the bike should not be lowered anymore than 10mm max b/c you have the potential of bottoming out and possibly causing damage to the forks travel is now limited.

not wanting to step on toes, but lowering 30-32mm seems a bit extreme.

My reason for lowering the front forks was to be able to use the centerstand b/c having not, the rear tire always rested on the ground.

I'm always up for learning more...:confused:

BroHay

Last edited:
personally, I'm against lowering the bike for any reason... but I wonder about things bottoming out... you might bottom out the frame... or some other hard parts.... but as far as bottoming out suspension..... I don't know... I suppose there is the chance of the lower triple tree hitting the top of the lower fork legs... but... like I said... I really wouldn't lower a bike to start with....

but.. good point!

Mine was out of necessity for it sucks to carry around 1/2 piece of plywood with you all the time if you were having to do anything to the bike while out on a ride.

Just verified, I dropped it 8mm but I really haven't got to push the limits of the overall feel for I've been on travel.

BroHay

Lowered

Simply by softening up the suspension of my '03 lowered my bike enough to the point where I can just about be flat-footed at a stop. I'm about 5'11" and 180 lbs so it was all I needed to feel comfortable. And the ride on the streets is more comfortable too.

Simply by softening up the suspension of my '03 lowered my bike enough to the point where I can just about be flat-footed at a stop. I'm about 5'11\" and 180 lbs so it was all I needed to feel comfortable. And the ride on the streets is more comfortable too.

I've just worked out a deal with a member for a Traxxion Shock that is sprung for my weight (FZ1OA). I shall see how the ride is with a better than a factory shock. I'm almost 230, so the factory fork is way undersprung for my weight.

I had tried softening the ride, but felt like I was on a small rocking horse when I was coming to a stop or on/off/on the throttle. I shall see if the stories are true.....more to come

BroHay

... so the factory fork is way undersprung for my weight.

heh... tell me about it... I'm about 250.... I opted for the full Traxxion treatment... new springs up front and a re-valve.... In the back, a Penske 8983 sprung just for me.... the difference is amazing... I'd never had my suspension done on any of the previous bikes I've owned.... this made all of the difference in the world..... it went from being a bike I liked, to a bike I loved..

Yeah, getting the rear also. It has lost its charge and just when I was about to throw in the towel on it, because it was a FOX shock (no longer making street rears) have the same options as the Penske, plus can adjust the ride height :D

One thing at a time, but it is so hard not to want to do it all at once.

One of the reasons I chose the FZ1 is the low seat height. I'm 5'6" with a 29 inch inseam. I feel as long as the balls of my feet make light comtact with terra firma, I'm cool with it. Is the Gen1 much taller in the saddle?

Back