Lowering the radiator

Any help please how to lower the radiator enough to get to the sparkplugs?
Do I have to disconnect the hose too? I only can get it about one inch lower!
Can not reach my spark plugs!
Thanks for help

Any help please how to lower the radiator enough to get to the sparkplugs?
Do I have to disconnect the hose too? I only can get it about one inch lower!
Can not reach my spark plugs!
Thanks for help

You should be able to pull it down about 2" which is enough to get the plugs out but it is a tight squeeze. Be VERY careful of the lower radiator mount!!! If you do not remove it or cover it with something padded, you can easily put a hole in the radiator.

When I did my plugs, I drained the system and removed the radiator but I'd planned on new coolant at that time anyway and I did the AIS removal. I used JB Weld to plug the holes in the stock plates after cutting off the nipples then put them back on after about 48 hrs of curing time.

You should be able to pull it down about 2" which is enough to get the plugs out but it is a tight squeeze. Be VERY careful of the lower radiator mount!!! If you do not remove it or cover it with something padded, you can easily put a hole in the radiator.

When I did my plugs, I drained the system and removed the radiator but I'd planned on new coolant at that time anyway and I did the AIS removal. I used JB Weld to plug the holes in the stock plates after cutting off the nipples then put them back on after about 48 hrs of curing time.
noob question here, but what is AIS? Why delete it?

noob question here, but what is AIS? Why delete it?

AIS or Air Injection System is a series of hoses and an electronic pump that pulls fresh air from your airbox and injects it into the exhaust ports under the valve cover. This fresh aitr blends with the excess fuel inside the exhaust to allow it to ignite inside the exhaust system and burn before releasing to the environment.

Why delete it? When you remove the stock exhaust and put on any slip-on or full exhaust system, with the AIS system intact you will hear popping and gurgling when getting off the throttle, especially from WOT to full off. You can even backfire. This is still the same burning of excess fuel but with the stock exhaust gone, there's nothing to mask the popping. Removing the AIS stops the fresh air injection and burning of the fuel thus stopping nearly all the popping.

The popping isn't harmful but can be annoying and it IS best for the environment. Removing the AIS is pleasing to the ears but is more harmful to the environment.

Hope this all makes sense! :D

ais removal

:surrender:thanks FZ1riderNY for the tip ( radiator )
one question about the ais too, i blocked the hose and the airbox temporarely
too, until i get my block off plates. question: how to get to the elekrical plug for the ais pump, what is the easy way? is it ok for now to leave in pluged in?
thanks for help!

The plug is located at the steering head and can be accessed easily after you unmount the AIS pump. Trying to get to it before this is very hard. It is OK to leave it plugged in with the AIS blocked at the airbox. How did you cap off the airbox? And how did you block the tube?

I've changed my plugs three times, and I ALWAYS just undo the radiator bolts and push it down, never had an issue. But I removed my AIS system a long time ago, with block off plates.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

AIS block off

i just glued a little plastic cup into the airbox hole from the outside of the box
and reconnected the hose again.
i think it is propably easier to remove the entire radiator to get rid off the ais
system at all. it is a pain in the a.... for me to reach the plates and plug by just lowering the radiator.

I've changed my plugs three times, and I ALWAYS just undo the radiator bolts and push it down, never had an issue. But I removed my AIS system a long time ago, with block off plates.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

What she said, it's a Can of Corn. Look it up, really. :Rockon:

i just glued a little plastic cup into the airbox hole from the outside of the box
and reconnected the hose again.
i think it is propably easier to remove the entire radiator to get rid off the ais
system at all. it is a pain in the a.... for me to reach the plates and plug by just lowering the radiator.

Yea, just remove it this one time, install some AIS block-off plates and change the coolant and plugs while you're at it. This way you'll be set for the upcoming riding season ;)

AIS or Air Injection System is a series of hoses and an electronic pump that pulls fresh air from your airbox and injects it into the exhaust ports under the valve cover. This fresh aitr blends with the excess fuel inside the exhaust to allow it to ignite inside the exhaust system and burn before releasing to the environment.

Why delete it? When you remove the stock exhaust and put on any slip-on or full exhaust system, with the AIS system intact you will hear popping and gurgling when getting off the throttle, especially from WOT to full off. You can even backfire. This is still the same burning of excess fuel but with the stock exhaust gone, there's nothing to mask the popping. Removing the AIS stops the fresh air injection and burning of the fuel thus stopping nearly all the popping.

The popping isn't harmful but can be annoying and it IS best for the environment. Removing the AIS is pleasing to the ears but is more harmful to the environment.

Hope this all makes sense! :D

I have a fair amount of popping on hard decel with my aftermarket Scorpion slipon

I was wondering whether I needed to do this AIS blockoff mod to protect the engine or something, the popping doesn't bother me so based on your post I won't be doing it.

Thanks

I have a fair amount of popping on hard decel with my aftermarket Scorpion slipon

I was wondering whether I needed to do this AIS blockoff mod to protect the engine or something, the popping doesn't bother me so based on your post I won't be doing it.

Thanks

Even with AIS block off my bike still made the popping sound until I installed Ivan FCE. Now all popping is gone.

Had the same added a PC and some fuel in the 0% column and everything runs without popping. No FCE, I do not feel the snatch anymore, ride around it ;).

Thanks

I did mine simply because I doesnt do your slip on any favors with the popping

The popping, or sudden burning of the excess fuel, at or near the slip-on can prematurely burn out the packing (if your slip-on, like mine, requires this).

Mine still pops a little but it has to be a VERY extreme WOT decel to get it to pop. Normal operation and commuting, there is no popping. This is with a PCV and gutted CAT.

Back