Looking to buy and for advice

Currently have a yamaha scr950 that just hasn't been great for highway commuting, it's my first bike that I got last June. Looking at a few bikes as options but wanted advise from people with experience.

It's a 09 fz1 so gen 2 I believe, 18,500 miles on the bike for $5700. Again it's a dealer bike and not private. How are these bikes for reliability and maintenance? Other bike I'm looking at is a 15 ninja 1000 for $8000

Super reliable, i.e. some of the highest mileage bikes that are "sport bike" oriented you'll find. As with any bike though, it depends on how well it was maintained. I'm approaching 18k on mine (10k of which are mine) and it needed some work when I brought it home but has been no problem since then! Price seems "fair" if there aren't a crap ton of added fees from the dealer...

Super reliable, i.e. some of the highest mileage bikes that are "sport bike" oriented you'll find. As with any bike though, it depends on how well it was maintained. I'm approaching 18k on mine (10k of which are mine) and it needed some work when I brought it home but has been no problem since then! Price seems "fair" if there aren't a crap ton of added fees from the dealer...
Just a $250 dealer fee, different state so I have to pay the tax in ct when getting it registered. I was worried about how high the miles were and just needing a good highway bike/ fun bike.

So should be solid for many years

It's not the mileage, it's the maintenance. Most cycle engines, Japanese in particular, are comparable to a car. So a car with 18k on it would still be considered "almost new". Always funny to me when cycle buyers get leery of that amount of mileage. I had to spend a thou on my bike because it wasn't ridden enough! The seals between the water and oil pump dried out from lack of use...

Yes, it should!

It's not the mileage, it's the maintenance. Most cycle engines, Japanese in particular, are comparable to a car. So a car with 18k on it would still be considered "almost new". Always funny to me when cycle buyers get leery of that amount of mileage. I had to spend a thou on my bike because it wasn't ridden enough! The seals between the water and oil pump dried out from lack of use...

Yes, it should!
Eh it would be my second bike I've had and I haven't been riding a year yet even. So I think it's ok haha.

There are always issues with every vehicle that are highlighted as time wears on. Research doing the stator. Or have the dealer fix it before you buy it.

Yea I found that out already and will ask them about it. I've only heard glowing reviews about it so far
Personally i would want proof, with your own eyes. I would not trust them. They dont go checking parts of bikes because they are known bad, they are there to make money. Get a new stator included in the sale.

Back