Looking for jacket advice (non leather)

I am looking for suggestions for a jacket. I had a Honda jacket that I just sold on Craigslist. I really liked the jacket but you know, it was a Honda jacket and it had Honda emblems etc. Yes,l I had a Honda at one time. Most people probably did not even know I was riding an FZ1 with a Honda jacket, but I wanted something else.

I am looking for a jacket that has the following:

Zip out liner warm enough to wear when its 40F.
Water resistant
Fabric, non leather, I want to be able to wash it.

If you have suggestions, I would like to hear them.

Thanks.

I'm a huge Scorpion fan! You get a lot of bang for your buck!!

I love their Burnout Jacket. I know that at least one other member on the forums wears one just like I have.

I think they are great!!! It is a light weight textile jacket ( I assume you wanted textile if you are not going with leather). It has armor, everything you mentioned and IMHO I think it is really sharp looking. You may have to look around because they are on closeout.....but that may be an opportunity to get a great price???
LOL - They even have the snap on the back end of the jacket so you won't have plumber's crack going down the hiway!!! ;)

Scorpion Men's Burnout Textile Jacket (CLOSEOUT) - Extreme Supply

scorpion_burnout_jackets.jpg

Last edited:
If you are looking at Mesh:

My favorite jacket is The Joe Rocket Phoenix 5.0 mesh jacket.

Joe Rocket Phoenix 5.0 Jacket - Street Bike - Motorcycle Superstore

And you are very lucky (if you want this one). They stopped production of them and then decided to bring them back.

The Joe Rocket UFO 2.0 Jacket is worth mentioning also. These are really good looking jackets.

The thing to remember with these mesh is you will not get as much protection but it sure does feel nice on those hot summer days. Anyway - I DON'T want to open that can of worms. I just wanted to mention it in case you haven't gone mesh.

I forgot!!! When you mentioned your Honda jacket it reminded me of the Yamaha Champion Mesh Jacket!!!! Man this thing is nice looking!!! Unfortunately so is the price tag!! HAHAHAHA!!!!!!

Joe Rocket Yamaha Champion Mesh Jacket - Street Bike - Motorcycle Superstore

You might find a cheaper price somewhere else but it's tough. This is a really popular jacket. I just use examples from MCSS because they have that really cool multi angle feature that lets you look at something 360 degrees.

I love their Burnout Jacket. I know that at least one other member on the forums wears one just like I have.

I think they are great!!! It is a light weight textile jacket ( I assume you wanted textile if you are not going with leather). It has armor, everything you mentioned and IMHO I think it is really sharp looking. You may have to look around because they are on closeout.....but that may be an opportunity to get a great price???
LOL - They even have the snap on the back end of the jacket so you won't have plumber's crack going down the hiway!!! ;)

+1 The burnout is the best textile I ever had. Vents really well in the summer too.

+2 On the burnout! I have a solid black one. I wear it NEARLY year round, but for those late afternoons/nights in mid January in NC where it is around 15-20 degrees, I have to pull out the riding suit. Aside from that, the jacket is perfect for all temperature ranges.

+3 on the burnout.

I prefer my leather A* Black Label up until late May early June, then it is the Burnout, for day to day commuting, until September or early October.

I LOVE my Tour-Master textile jacket. It works from 20 degrees with the liner to 75 without it and the vents open. Great comfort and looks good. Go on their website and look for the "Jett2" jacket. That is what I have.

Best jacket, period.

FirstGear Kilamanjaro Air

This jacket works from <20*F to >105*F

It is RAINPROOF when the liner is in, it breaths like a football jersey in the summer and it has so many pockets you'll never fill them. (You can even take the liner out and store it in a giant pocket on the back bottom of the jacket, and it acts like a pillow for your lower back on all-day rides.)

I use it for riding to work from fall to spring. I only switch to a leather jacket during mild summers but in extreme heat summers I use the Kilamanjaro jacket.

Best jacket ever. 3/4 length is bit of an acquired taste, but as a hidden bonus, you can wear a suit jacket under it and not get it wrinkled or dirty (for those of you that need to look respectable once in a long while at work).

Firstgear Kilimanjaro Textile Motorcycle Jacket
KilimanjaroBlackGrey.png

I'm not going to tell you what brand you should get because, like everything else, everyone makes one that will work and is competitive with the rest but I will tell you what 47 years of riding has told me. The new textile jackets are just as tough and as a good leather if you get a good one and they have armor that will give you just as good protection. My textile is just as warm as my heavy leather, which is quilt lined and it has a zip out quilt lining and a zip out rain barrier so I can wear it in temps as low as 25 F and I have or as high as the 90's +. It is more colorful than any of my leathers although some leathers do have good color. If you want to stay warm and keep the bugs from going down your neck, get a jacket that has a decent neck that can be tightened up. I've found that no matter how good your jacket, if wind can blow down the front or back you will get cold and wet when you don't want to. I rode four days straight in rain coming home from New York last June and although I didn't like the stuff, I was comfortable and stayed dry and warm. Check out the on-line motorcycle shops and your head will start spinning at the choice you will have. You should be able to get a nice jacket for under $200. It's your choice so you be the one to pick.

Unfortunately with textile, you can start at bargain basement pricing and go up, up, up. Some of the best textiles I have tried on were from BMW & also from Rev'It. You just have to find the best fit & comfort for your body and set a budget after :)

I have a older Kilmamjaro jacket in my closet that I replace this past winter. That jacket outlasted four bike and has seen at least 100,000 mi. It's sad to just see it on a hanger now.

Living in northern FL we actually have a temperature swing here that gets down to the low teens at times. In the summer it can get to over 100. With those two variants in mind I have two multi piece suits that I wear. For anything from 60 and up, I have a Tourmaster Draft full mesh that I wear. For anything below 60 I have a full set of Joe Rocket Ballistic 7.0. All year long I have Alpinestars H2O boots with gore tex that do a great job of keeping warm in winter and cool in summer.

RevIt Air, works great in brutal heat. Add their Rotor pants and you have the perfect summer kit. If it fits you as they have an Italian fit.

Sent from my MB508 using Tapatalk

Just got the FirstGear Kilimanjaro jacket last night. I rode to work with it today (38F). I like the jacket a lot. It has a nice liner and lots of pockets and venting capabilities. Thanks for the recommendation. :shine:

Back