Looking for Hayabusa input

Since I sold my FZ1, I am looking for a different bike and sat on a couple of Hayabusa's at one of the dealerships and wondered if anyone had input on them, any and all input welcome. From the little bit of reading I have done, it seems that the second generation started in 2008.

Depends on what you'll be doing with it... the 'busa makes a great touring bike.... if you want it to be a sport bike... welll... compared to its brethren, it's a bit long, heavy, and slow on the acceleration front....

so... what do you plan to do with it?

Depends on what you'll be doing with it... the 'busa makes a great touring bike.... if you want it to be a sport bike... welll... compared to its brethren, it's a bit long, heavy, and slow on the acceleration front....

so... what do you plan to do with it?
Most of the riding I do is either commuting back and forth to work (the commute is mostly 55+ driving), or going for rides in the evening after work for an hour or so, or weekend rides for two or three hours (two lane state roads mainly, some freeway). I have longer trips in mind but haven't gotten there yet.

yep. ridden one and I've dragraced plenty... let me correct my statement though... with stock gearing, in stock trim, they're slow on the acceleration front...

compared to the typical liter bike (CBR 1000, GSXR 1000, ZX-10, R1) the 'busa can't hang... ride any of the above and compare to a 'busa... look at the timesheets in any of your favorite motorcycle mags... the modern day liter bike can eat up a 'busa with no problem...

wehn you get into modifying... well.. it can be a different story... but in stock trim, they're made for top-end power... not acceleration.

Well I am not planning on setting world records or drag racing, I just want to enjoy the bike. The bikes in the running right now are: FJR, Newer model Concours, ST1300, VFR800 (6th Gen), Hayabusa.

Hey, it's good enough for the Oklahoma Highway Patrol. If I were considering the bikes you're considering-Kawa Concours would probably be my choice.

800px-Busayukon.jpg

Well I am not planning on setting world records or drag racing, I just want to enjoy the bike. The bikes in the running right now are: FJR, Newer model Concours, ST1300, VFR800 (6th Gen), Hayabusa.

The ST1300 and the VFR are kinda' out of place in that group. The VFR 800 would be outclassed by any of the others, and the ST1300 is down about 32 hp on the FJR. Maybe a little more refined than the FJR. Given the choices above it would only be between the Concours and the FJR for me. It's not my money though, and a bike has to, not only do what you want (for you), but has to Turn Your Crank or it's not going to be in your garage long. As you know!

I should add that I HAVE ridden a Gen 1 FJR, and LOVED it. I have also ridden a current generation VFR 800 and enjoyed it as well, just found the V-Tec transition weird and the ergonomics less enjoyable than a Gen 2 FZ-1, (the stock seat was better though), too wrist heavy by comparison. No experience with the others.

Last edited:
I have a 2006 Limited Hayabusa with a little over 18,000 miles on it and can tell you it ranks as one of my favorite bikes of all time. It does everything well, from commuting, to canyon riding, to multi state 2 up trips and even track days. I had to modify the suspension for track day use (the forks are too soft) but beyond that it is fully capable of doing whatever you want it to do, comfortably. I don't know who the fool is that said it is slow (I don't care what kind of slow you are referring to either) but he obviously hasn't spent any real, objective time on a Hayabusa. I have a 2008 GSXR 1000 and as long as you have the revs up in the meat of the powerband it will outrun the Hayabusa by a little bit (with both being stock of cours). Never by much though. But ride two up and see what happens. I love all of the bikes I have in my stable, but the Hayabusa is definitely a bike the design team for Suzuki got right. Even out on the track it is extremely capable. It's bettter on fast, flowing tracks but it can still go pretty fast on tighter more technical tracks, you just have to be smooth. Keep in mind, most bikes today are better than most riders so it really just comes down to personal preference. My wife has told me under no circumstance am I allowed to get ride of the Hayabusa, unless of course I am buying a new Hayabusa. My FZ1, Bandit and GSXR 1000, she could care less about. Oh, with a full exhaust, intake came swap, airbox mods and some minor tuning an my Busa is pulling 174 hp to the rear wheel, while my pipe and tuned GSXR 100 is only laying down 161 hp. Where the 1000 doesn't start really running until 8,000 rpm, my Busa is pulling hard at 5,000 rpm. In the 1/4 mile my Busa is typically 9 mph faster than my 1000. Oh, my Hayabusa is typically in the 42-45 mpg range.

I'm with TimeBombAZ on this one as far as usefullness. Though one thing the Hyabusa has going for it is the abundance of accessories due to being introduced, I believe in 1999, thus a decade of aftermarket. But my leanings would be with the Kawasaki which I believe is just a tad more suited to scaping feelers and pegs than the Hayabusa, and just that bit more of .......everything....... including looks.

Bandit > What it feels like, and what it is are two different things. When I say that it's slow in comparison to the typical 1000cc bike... you simply can not say I'm wrong. ... The numbers back it up. Have a look for yourself. Suzuki Motorcycle Performance Numbers & Suzuki Street Bike Quarter Mile Times at Sport Rider

As I said, stock to stock, a regular liter bike wins. .... Now, as I said before, it's by no means "slow" ... it's not a Ninja 250... it's a 1300cc bike... but in comparison ... That's all i'm saying... Hell, I wouldn't mind having a 'busa...

For what it is worth, I traded an '06 ST 1300 for my FZ. They are great bikes, very smooth and fast for their weight. Loved the electric windshield on cold morning commutes. The weight was the biggest problem to me, and the linked brakes were a pain to service. Had a first-gen Concours, if the new kept any genes, very good bike..........Bill

Va you kill me. So you're using MAGAZINE number to compare bikes???? So over the span of about 10 years was each one of those runs done with; the same rider, same track conditions, same tire, similar gearing, same wind and weather conditions, etc... That's like reading the most recent liter bike shoot out and saying Ben Spies must have cheated last year because a MAGAZINE has the R1 rated last.

The bottomline is the OP needs to ride the bike that HE likes and to hell with magazines.

This is becoming a pointless discussion and beginning to feel like "The Other Site". All the OP is asking for is some qualitative feedback. He already said he does not care to have the fastest bike on the planet.

Lets please keep discussions non-personal and eliminate any name calling on these boards. I think general consensus is we want everyone here to be friendly.

COS, when I was looking at getting a new bike last year I considered the ST, VFR and the FZ1. I narrowed it down to the VFR and FZ1 due to weight.

I was always in to fully faired bikes so I was interested in the VFR from that standpoint. I liked the power and all around ability of the FZ1. Ultimately what made my decision was price. I was able to get the FZ1 for $2,500 less than the VFR I wanted.

If you can get a good deal on that VFR, GO FOR IT! It is still one of my all time favorite bikes. I have never been a busa fan. :(

EDITED: did not intend to quote anyone. ;)

Last edited:
I have a 04 FJR with 65K and love it. Plenty of grunt, good weather protection easy to maintain and shaft drive is soooo nice. (chains are a pain in the a$$).
Gen1 03-05 are faster but are also hotter in the summer. Gen ll fixed the heat issues but 06 and 07 had some electrical grounding issues. Getting to be plenty of used ones out there too. A good after market seat is a plus, I have a Rick Mayer saddle and like it.
Here's my FJR on a ride a few years back near Bishop, Ca. Of course if you wanted to bring the family or just lots of beer the rig on the right may be for you :)
IMG_0002-3.jpg

COS, when I was looking at getting a new bike last year I considered the ST, VFR and the FZ1. I narrowed it down to the VFR and FZ1 due to weight.

I was always in to fully faired bikes so I was interested in the VFR from that standpoint. I liked the power and all around ability of the FZ1.

EDITED: did not intend to quote anyone. ;)

Did you get a chance to ride a Gen 6 VFR?
If so, what was your impression of it and how long did you get to ride it?
I have checked into renting a VFR for a day and it looks like around $250/day :(

Did you get a chance to ride a Gen 6 VFR?
If so, what was your impression of it and how long did you get to ride it?
I have checked into renting a VFR for a day and it looks like around $250/day :(

$250.00 to ride it all day and find that you love it or hate it would still be cheaper than buying it and having to take a loss on selling it shortly afterward. With a rental you can have it all day (and really ride it), unlike a test ride.

Back