Looking at a new FZ1, input please?

Good afternoon guys.

I've been riding street since 1977, small and large bikes, (as well as an 04 FJR-which was just way too "HOT" , physically).

I currently have an 07 FZ6 which I'm selling (and have some bites). I've owned it since 2009, did my share of mods, etc.

I have bar risers / set backs, open Scorps, etc (ie, don't do the lean forward on the wrist position-so risers would be on the list).

Question, as the FZ1 seems (engineering wise) very similar to my 6, what if ANY ISSUES need to be addressed?

I'm sure I'm looking at Spencers doing his seat mod (already contacted him), bar risers among other farkles
(helmet locks, power outlet, 590 GPS stem mount, etc).

The bike will be used for pleasure only, (no commuting) but would like to be able to do a LD trip(maybe 500 miles if need be).

I don't care for Power commanders(one more thing to break) but have heard a re-map helps drive-ability (does it hurt the crappy mileage?)

BTW, I have looked at other Yamaha's (Yamaha guy actually), but prefer the simplicity (and familiarity of the FZ1 with my FZ6), no ABS,
no linked brakes, etc..

Thanks, Scott

My current FZ6:

Great questions, Scott! You'll certainly find a the same spirit of your FZ6 in the FZ1 but everything will be turned up to 11, so to speak. You seem to be no stranger to modifications and I think that's where the second gen FZ1 really shines.

As far as issues, there really aren't any serious issues with these bikes although there were some 2006 model years that had trouble with the frame cracking though it seems to be quite rare. Other than that, you can find some complaints about snatchy throttle response, especially with the 06-09. As far as I'm concerned, you can buy any FZ1, new or used with confidence. As long as all maintenance is up to date, they are really well made bikes.

You can find a wealth of information here about the various ECU flashes. Ivan's Performance Products is one of the popular ones and I believe he really pioneered this mod for the FZ1. Many, many people on this forum have their FZ1s flashed and not a single person has ever said anything negative about it.

I think you'll be happy with an FZ1, based on what you said in your OP. You shouldn't have a problem doing long trips on an FZ1, I travel on mine all the time. 500 mile days are easy, especially if you're gonna have Spence work the seat (he did my SV650 seat).

I enjoy the bike as it will do the long miles, and yet is still capable in the twisties. It's a super sport by no means, but she'll put work in. As Dustin said, there really aren't any glaring issues to speak of with these bikes. Of course there are always those folks that love to mod, but at 47K miles - mine has minimal modifications. It's pretty much stock save for a set of Givi hard bags, a Ram mount for my phone, and some charging cords.

Welcome to the site!

Thanks for the responses.

I'd likely be getting a new 2015, (or if I could find a NEW, left over 2012 blue would be preferred).
Should be hearing something today...

Re the re-flash, besides helping performance, does it hurt the mileage at all?

Engine heat not a major issue ? (the Gen1 FJR was awful)

I have a 2012 I have the following mods; R1 rear shock and Satan's adapter, frame sliders, horn, Philips H4 bulbs, motodynamics integrated taillight, SpeedoDRD, iridium plugs, radiator prorector and a re-flashed ECU, Zero Gravity touring screen, Satan's highway pegs ,adjustable shorty levers, SS brake lines and EBC pads, 12V power taps mounted on the left inner panel. I also fitted GIVI side case racks for the V35 bags (the removable one), Throttlemeister locks and a battery tender lead.

The bike is stock engine and exhaust wise, the flash was done by Vcyclenut in Ft. Myers FL. ($80 for the basic which is what I got) That flash removed the little throttle snatch that was there, removed the FC and lowered the fan actuation temp and removed the restrictions in the first three gears. It runs better than stock as in smoother more controllable with slight throttle movements. I highly recommend his flash.

I just finish riding a 430 mile trip and averaged 44mpg at mostly 70 - 75 mph speeds. The best I had was 47 mpg in Tennessee on I-24 riding back to Illinois from the Tail of the Dragon and that was with both side cases, tank bag and tailbag on the bike.

I'm 5'10" and weigh about 190 and for me the stock seat is very comfortable for long distance but I only ride one up. The bar reach and foot positions were spot on for me in the stock positions.

Engine heat, as with any motorcycle, is an issue in heavy traffic that is stop and go (mostly stop) with ambient temps of 85 +, otherwise no issue.

Also in 2012 Pearl White was the only color offered.

Last edited:
Oh yeah, Oldbiker reminded me - I have T-Rex frame sliders & rear spools, Satan's highway pegs,and EBC pads too.

I haven't had any real heat issues, unless as has been mentioned - you're in heavy traffic just sitting on top of the thing, in summer. Now my 1190 on the other hand, that thing is like sitting on top of a BBQ pit.

Ooooh, 2015 ... That'll be nice, AND you should be able to get a good deal on new old stock.

2015 is Granite grey. I've seen them in the showroom and it isn't a bad color but just doesn't pop like the white (2012 & 2014).

Almost all the mods I put on were for handling, braking and convenience. It has way more power than I can justify for street and highway but having more isn't a bad thing if you can control your right wrist. Comfort was there from day one when I bought it new from the dealer (left over 2012 in 2013) so I got a 25% discount OTD.

It has over 20,000 miles and is purring like a huge kitten. Best bike I ever owned.

There is only one thing that would make outstanding and that would be a real cruise control.

Last edited:
I have a 2012 I have the following mods; R1 rear shock and Satan's adapter, frame sliders, horn, Philips H4 bulbs, motodynamics integrated taillight, SpeedoDRD, iridium plugs, radiator prorector and a re-flashed ECU, Zero Gravity touring screen, Satan's highway pegs ,adjustable shorty levers, SS brake lines and EBC pads, 12V power taps mounted on the left inner panel. I also fitted GIVI side case racks for the V35 bags (the removable one), Throttlemeister locks and a battery tender lead.

The bike is stock engine and exhaust wise, the flash was done by Vcyclenut in Ft. Myers FL. ($80 for the basic which is what I got) That flash removed the little throttle snatch that was there, removed the FC and lowered the fan actuation temp and removed the restrictions in the first three gears. It runs better than stock as in smoother more controllable with slight throttle movements. I highly recommend his flash.

I just finish riding a 430 mile trip and averaged 44mpg at mostly 70 - 75 mph speeds. The best I had was 47 mpg in Tennessee on I-24 riding back to Illinois from the Tail of the Dragon and that was with both side cases, tank bag and tailbag on the bike.

I'm 5'10" and weigh about 190 and for me the stock seat is very comfortable for long distance but I only ride one up. The bar reach and foot positions were spot on for me in the stock positions.

I have many of the same mods, but I have both a Spencer modded seat and a Corbin seat. I did ~680 kms on Saturday and wasn't sore at all, but I did sleep in the next morning. Well, 8am is sleeping in for us oldsters.

By FC, do you mean Fuel Cut Eliminator, or Fuel Controller? I recently added a PCFC with JonDaddy's map and my basic Vcyclenut flash, and it's even smoother than with just the flash. Although my fuel mileage wasn't quite as good as yours...

Comfy Rocket (Yamaha FZ1) | Fuelly

Last edited:
Yes it's the Fuel Cut Eliminator. Vcyclenut didn't remap the fueling from stock since I wasn't planning to add a slip-on or Power Commander.We also left the AIS alone.

I should also mention that my fuel mileage can be as low as 32 in heavy city traffic like in Chicago. I mostly ride in Central Illinois where the only traffic jam is when State Farm employees leave between 4:30 and 5.

I did about 700 km on Sunday and the only problem I had was the wrong undies, cotton gets nasty when you sweat and it bunches up.

Thanks for the input guys.

I retired from Ft Myers so that ECU mod is nearby and Spencers is across the state (3 hours away).

Thread de-rail, I think I have all the settings for thread, NEW posts, e-mail notifications but aren't getting any?
Can someone please PM (or post) EXACTLY the correct settings? (the FZ6 site, no problems)

Also, can some one tell me if the rear sub frame rails are 1" in diameter (or the actual diameter)?
I didn't see any helmet locks and would like to add TWO as well as a Powerlet outlet, left side, lower.

Rectangular frame on an FJR, lock and outlet:

FZ6 round frame with Yamaha helmet lock:

FZ6 Powerlet tab:

Last edited:
Back