Looking at 2014 Yamaha FZ1 (new) vs FZ 09 or Suzuki GSX -S750Z

rm250

I am looking at a left over 2014 Yamaha FZ1 (new) was bought out from another dealer. From all of the other discussions everyone seems to rave about the FZ07 and FZ09 and the FZ1 seems to be left out (very difficult to find reviews and/or owner videos of likes/dislikes).

I am a long time mx rider and have a dual sport bike but looking at one of these bikes and the Suzuki GSX S750Z is like $6200 2015 model and this one is 2014 FZ1 for $6800. The new FZ09 is around $8200 new (not sure if any left overs as they seem to sell fairly decent).

From reading I see the (responses of no low end and issues with surging) is this correct? Also, do these bikes have any other issues from researching the FZ09 does not have very good stock suspension?

Looking for help advice or correct me on any of these other items if they are not factual. Lastly, I do like Suzuki the GSX S750Z but not really sure if Suzuki will be around in the future or stability of them (they do not see to be building many bikes).

Has anyone rode the FZ07/FZ09 and the FZ1 to give me some inside info?

thanks

I would get the liter bike with the FZ-09 being my second choice. The Zook reviews are not as good as they should be and I would let them iron out the wrinkles on the new model first. With the FZ-1 you know what you get and $6800 is a good price.

Welcome to the forum!

I look at those 3 choices as very different bikes despite them being lumped into the same category.

The FZ1 is a sport tourer in my eyes. It's got the wind protection, ergonomics, stability and big power of an ST plus it comes standard with a centre stand and there's a full selection of hard luggage available. The Suzuki and especially the FZ-09 are sporty nakeds which are more at home in urban environments or twisty back roads. You can, of course, tour or do trackdays on any of these bikes but they all have their strengths and weaknesses.

The FZ1 has a distinct advantage of a decade of knowledge and aftermarket support. You can really modify this bike to the moon if you wanted and if you picked up a lightly-used model or leftover from a dealer, you're in it for cheap.

Good luck with your decision!

There are a thousand reviews of the FZ1 just go back a few years as they are all the same. The FZ1 is weak under 7k rpm but hammers from 7K+. Things can be improved some with a full Yoshimura exhaust and ECU flash.

The MT09/FZ09 has excellent low end power and is great for wheelies.

Suzuki is not going anywhere and they make solid bikes.

Take a look at the Suzuki GSXS1000 (F), it's got an excellent motor and is supposed to be a great bike.

Test ride them all to get a better idea of what you like. Good luck.

Last edited:
Thanks guys for all of the helpful info, I do like the FZ1 and being the liter over the triple. Coming from a long time of riding mx bikes I think the stability factor and wind protection would be a lot better.

I am going to check out the FZ1 and also check out the Suzuki GSX-s1000 (they have 2016 demo ABS $8799 and non-ABS for $8399.

thanks again any additional info please send it myway

Thanks guys for all of the helpful info, I do like the FZ1 and being the liter over the triple. Coming from a long time of riding mx bikes I think the stability factor and wind protection would be a lot better.

I am going to check out the FZ1 and also check out the Suzuki GSX-s1000 (they have 2016 demo ABS $8799 and non-ABS for $8399.

thanks again any additional info please send it myway

I have been riding FZ1S for 7 years and I've also ridden the GSX-S1000 (naked) and the MT09/FZ09. Like others have said, the FZ1S is a superb sports tourer that has good handling, is fairly light, and has more than enough power for the twisties. The motor in the GSX-S1000 is a peach, although it's a bit of an on/off switch in town, but the bike is a bit more modern than the FZ and comes with traction control and ABS. The MT09/FZ09 is a lot of fun, again the throttle is a bit on/off but like the GSX-S1000 I didn't have any issues with the fuelling on either. As the GSX-S750 and GSX-S1000, as well as the MT09, come with no fairing they are not that good for long distance and touring. The FZ1S beats both on that front. But take a look at the faired GSX-S1000F, doesn't look as good as the FZ1S in my opinion, but certainly worth considering that over the FZ1S.

My wife has an MT07 and that's a lot of fun as well and I think that's a better package than the FZ/MT09 and as cheap as chips.

But GSX-S750 v FZ09 v FZ1S? I'd take the FZ1S every time :)

Last edited:
I don't know of any other new 1 liter bike you can buy for under $7k and the FZ-1 will last forever with proper maintenance. If you are a taller or heavier guy I would not consider the others. I paid $6500 for my new FZ-1 years ago which was the deciding factor. I have been rewarded every time I ride it.

Where and how do you intend to ride

I ride an 03 FZ1 I like a lot. I've ridden a friends 06 FZ1 briefly,, has the Ivan mods, sportier than the Gen1, good fun. A friend has a 16 FX09, added a windshield and had the saddle repadded.
The Gen2 FZ1 is a Sport Tourer, more upright riding position, capable of high speeds. There is an R1 rear shock mod which does good, as does running different wt fork oil in each leg. Newer are supposed to be more refined than older.
FZ09 has the most natural seating position, is excellent to 90-100mph, tops out about 120? (I seem to remember reading that). My buddy is tall, added windscreen, had seat made taller and wider. Runs about 200 miles on twisty back roads most sundays. Great low end power, light and flickable. Fun.
Suzuki is a sport bike? Racer croach? Than the riding position works best over 80mph. Young fit riders can learn to live with this. Slow traffic gets old fast.
If the Suzuki is a naked it is time to ride and see.
A friend had an 09 Kawi ER6n 650 tin that was great fun. But sustained speeds over 90 or so is not their strong point. Tiring.

So travel and a lot of highway FZ1, two up FZ1. Mostly back roads FZ09.

Back