Leaking fuel out of some sort of overflow

Tried starting bike today. Only been sitting for a week and it started acting up. Acted like it didn't want to start then the engine stopped turning over completely. Then I got it to again then start throwing fuel out of the line that connect to brass pipes and bolts on the very back of intake right behind front sprocket. I'm pretty sure it's from the carb on complete left side of engine. Engine will only start with wide open throttle and will die if let off because of the amount of fuel just shooting out of those tubes. Doesn't leak fuel unless you are attempting to start bike

My question is, what caused this? Ran fine a week ago. No leaks at all and never had trouble starting up
0e72af1c0279e4bd1152a3785e6269f9.jpg
55728e64c72bacfc8a61e6d897ec7b2f.jpg
42bb23fe08570a01e9e984399653cd75.jpg

Sent from my R2 Plus using Tapatalk

Last edited:
Sounds like it's time to rebuild the carbs.
If a lot of gas is getting above the piston, that would explain the no crank issue because liquids do not compress.
Might want to check the oil too because it's probably diluted with gasoline.

Last edited:
Those pipes are for overflow if a float gets stuck open. You might be able to tap the bowl(s) and free the stuck float. But realistically a carb cleaning and rebuild is in order.

2002 Yamaha FZ1
2004 Ducati ST4s ABS “Senna”
1998 Ducati ST2 apocalypse edition

Thanks guys. I may try tapping the bowl just to see. But either way it's parked until I can get it to shop. Just hope it didn't bend a connecting rod or valve if it was trying to hydrolock. All the carbs probably need cleaned and gone through. I don't trust myself to keep it all timed correctly.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using Tapatalk

Doubt you hurt the engine with the starter.
If an o ring on a seat is cracked or the needle valve is bad, tapping on the carb will do nothing. I might try gently tapping on one to get me home, but no reason to otherwise. They're going to have to come apart anyway, it's really not hard.

Back