Leaking battery

vandal_xx

Hey all.
In the beginning of this season(april 2013) I got a new battery for my 2007. The one in it was there when I bought it in 2012, looked a few years old and was acting like a battery on its way out. ( not starting on cold mornings).

I got a new xtreme power sports xtaz14s from batteries plus. For the last couple weeks the battery was showing signs of low cranking amps like an old battery. I brought it back (now august 4 months later). They tested it and it was bad. They replaced it under warranty, no problem. I put it in yesterday. I rode to work and back about 100mi. I went to cover it and noticed fluid on my swing arm, chain and rear fender. Directly under my battery box drain hole.

Checked under my seat, and sure enough, my battery leaked. I used baking soda and water to clean the area. The paint is messed up and I am pissed!! Plus I can't ride to work.

I am going back tomorrow with some pictures and the battery. It is a "sealed, maintenance free" battery.

At idle my battery reads about 13.5VDC. At about 7K rpm it is at 14.5VDC.
Has anyone else had this problem? I have checked the voltage many times in the past few weeks due to the bad battery symptoms and it is always the same at various rpms.

Anyone else had a problem like this?? So agitated.:cry::banghead:

'Maintenance free' batteries are usually well sealed....you probably have a hairline crack in the case somewhere. Battery acid and paint is never a good combination.

Batteris Plus replaced the battery again. No problem. They gave me an upgraded brand for no money and were super apologetic. They handled the problem well. Lets see what happens this time.

Did they make any concessions for the paint issues? That sucks dude.... I'm not a big fan of Batteries+ at all. They are OK for the really weird stuff but I tend to steer clear of them for mainstream batteries.

Nothing about paint, but I didn't push it. caught it and neutralized it pretty quickly. Chain got acid on it and o rings may have been compromised, but I have a new chain and sprocket that I was about to put on.
As far as the store, I am still learning where to get various parts. I live in western NH and stores, let alone bike stores, are few and far between. I usually get stuff online, but leery of getting batteries in the mail.
Just to be sure on my voltages, I have 14VDC at 1k rpm and about 14.3VDC at 7k. Looks right per my manual.
What does yours say?

Back