Lead Weights

While the fishing weights helped me I had ongoing issues with FZ1 and every other bike I have owned since. 5.5 years later I finally decided to go see an orthopedists specializing in the hand. He ordered a nerve study. I just had that nerve study done today.

The results indicate I have bilateral ulnar nerve damage which accounts for elbow pain and the numbness of my pinky and ring finger. I also have carpal tunnel in my right hand accounting for the rest of the fingers, and hand numbness and pain.

My pain is so severe these days after 45 minutes to an hour of riding that I have to stop riding for 30 minutes to recover and get another 45 minutes to an hour of riding in.

I still need to do a follow up with my orthopedic surgeon so he can review the nerve study results. If endoscopic surgery is an option I am doing it. Already have my deductible met from emergency room visit this year.

To summarize, don't assume it is the bike. Get yourself checked out.

you waited 5.5 years to see a doctor about it? go get the surgery, it'll be much better afterwards. good luck.

have you tried bar risers? or the throttle assist paddle or the throttle lock? it'll keep your wrists from bending as much

Brad:
After reading this post, I had to go out to the garage, unscrew one of the bar weights to verify that my red FZ1 had the fishing weights and the silicon. For a moment I thought I might have done that treatment to the blue bike. Ha, ha. Hope to see you sometime at one of the meets. I just work too many hours and cannot make the weekday events. Best of luck with your procedure. I hope you can get total relief from the pain and numbness.

While the fishing weights helped me I had ongoing issues with FZ1 and every other bike I have owned since. 5.5 years later I finally decided to go see an orthopedists specializing in the hand. He ordered a nerve study. I just had that nerve study done today.

The results indicate I have bilateral ulnar nerve damage which accounts for elbow pain and the numbness of my pinky and ring finger. I also have carpal tunnel in my right hand accounting for the rest of the fingers, and hand numbness and pain.

My pain is so severe these days after 45 minutes to an hour of riding that I have to stop riding for 30 minutes to recover and get another 45 minutes to an hour of riding in.

I still need to do a follow up with my orthopedic surgeon so he can review the nerve study results. If endoscopic surgery is an option I am doing it. Already have my deductible met from emergency room visit this year.

Not the news one wants to hear Brad, but I hope you can either get it fixed, or find some way to situate the bike controls to minimize the issues and extend your riding.

Brad:
After reading this post, I had to go out to the garage, unscrew one of the bar weights to verify that my red FZ1 had the fishing weights and the silicon. For a moment I thought I might have done that treatment to the blue bike. Ha, ha. Hope to see you sometime at one of the meets. I just work too many hours and cannot make the weekday events. Best of luck with your procedure. I hope you can get total relief from the pain and numbness.

I am working quite a bit too Bill. I have not been riding much lately. I did manage to get in an 850 mile trip a few weeks ago. That was when I decided I had to get something done about this issue. :)

Not the news one wants to hear Brad, but I hope you can either get it fixed, or find some way to situate the bike controls to minimize the issues and extend your riding.

These days the same thing happens driving the car or sitting down to eat dinner. It just becomes unbearable only when riding the motorcycles. I actually have risers on my triumph and my DRZ.

I am excited to know there is an actual fixable problem.

I have been on several long rides (170 - 250 miles) lately with none of the issues I used to have. Other than a little stiffness at the incision locations which will eventually work out. No numbness. No pain. I can enjoy riding again! I wish I would have done the surgery years ago.

Back