Last track day of the season: $100 for full day (including school) for first timers!!

If you're near South NJ and have always wondered what it would be like to do a track day, now is the time!

Absolute Cycle is offering a $100 special to 1st time riders (I am not affiliated with them in any way, nor do I particularly like their administration, but coaches are very nice and friendlly and the price cannot be beat!)

I am registered for this event: NJMP New Jersey Motorsports Park Lightning Motorcycle Track Day October 26th Sat Absolute Cycle Experience

Please mention my name (Eric Bindman) if you do sign up. I think it may get me some small credit, but I won't hold it against you if you skip that step :D

Feel free to ask questions about the actual track day, should you have any. I've ridden with them once, so I have a pretty good idea of how the day goes.

Hope to see some of you there!!

I hope you have a great day the lightning track, it is a fast course, it really wears the right side of my tires tires when I ride this track not enough left hand turns, but tons of fun. Hopefully some others will be able to join you.

I hope you have a great day the lightning track, it is a fast course, it really wears the right side of my tires tires when I ride this track not enough left hand turns, but tons of fun. Hopefully some others will be able to join you.

Thanks! I already have 2 people joining me from FZ6 forum (with 1 more guy waiting to see how the weather looks when we get closer to it) and another non-forum friend is coming.

My tires are on their last leg (I don't have a dedicated track bike.. running Pilot Road 2CT). I've got over 12k miles on them!!! (amazing how long those suckers last, while providing as much grip as I need... on the street). Lightning will very likely finish them off.

Thanks! I already have 2 people joining me from FZ6 forum (with 1 more guy waiting to see how the weather looks when we get closer to it) and another non-forum friend is coming.

My tires are on their last leg (I don't have a dedicated track bike.. running Pilot Road 2CT). I've got over 12k miles on them!!! (amazing how long those suckers last, while providing as much grip as I need... on the street). Lightning will very likely finish them off.

Dude, PLEASE buy new tires before the track day. They are rock hard and track day riding will exceed anything you've done on the street or any MSF class.

1) You may not pass tech and they will send you home

2) If it rains you have a much better chance of going down

3) You may run out of tire half way through the day. I get 5 track days, ~ 800 miles out of a set of Q2s.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I747 using Tapatalk 2

Dude, PLEASE buy new tires before the track day. They are rock hard and track day riding will exceed anything you've done on the street or any MSF class.

1) You may not pass tech and they will send you home

2) If it rains you have a much better chance of going down

3) You may run out of tire half way through the day. I get 5 track days, ~ 800 miles out of a set of Q2s.

Thanks for your suggestion and I sincerely appreciate your advice. The tires are not rock-hard. They're less than 2 years old and show no dry rut whatsoever. I've done a track day on them in the rain and they held up well to my super slow riding (spun up once, but so did everyone else).

I've got about another 1/8" before I reach the wear bars in the center, but the sides have loads of tread left.

If I go down, it won't be because of these tires. I'll post up a pick tomorrow for you (and others) to chime in on their present state.

Oh I disagree. The $300 you spend on tires is the least experience insurance you can buy. I've seen it too many times over the years.

Here's something to think about; if you crash and take out another rider that is on you. I've never wanted to go there. Every time I've gone to the track me and my gear is 110% so I know I don't injure the other guy do to my equipment.

How do I know? I've spent too much time in the ER and hospital because of the other guy. One time I almost died. But then again you are an MFS Instructor and know all.

I wish you the very best.

Easy Pete easy. I do agree with Pete. Erci if you plan on changing the tires afterward any way why not do it before riding them in a high stress situation. Not to mention all the street cred you will get once the look all.... Tracked.....BTW I love, love, love Pirelli DRC's (Diablo Rosso Corsa). They are very yummy.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Easy Pete easy. I do agree with Pete. Erci if you plan on changing the tires afterward any way why not do it before riding them in a high stress situation. Not to mention all the street cred you will get once the look all.... Tracked.....BTW I love, love, love Pirelli DRC's (Diablo Rosso Corsa). They are very yummy.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Appreciate the advice, Johnny. Wish I could put sport tires on, but since this bike is also my daily commuter, I can't justify changing tires every 3k street miles, especially since sport touring ones perform so well.

Here's what I'm thinking: I can pick up a new set and bring it with me to the track. I can swap them out right there, if needed.

Keep in mind I did a track day on these about 3 weeks ago, in the rain. Also keep in mind that I'm riding in novice group where passing is only allowed on the straights. I really don't feel like I'm getting anywhere near my bike's (or my tires') limits, even if they're no longer brand new.

Please take a look at my current ones.

attachment.php

attachment.php

attachment.php

When I did a track day earlier this year, the "official" word was 75% tread to pass tech. I put new tires on the week before, so it wasn't an issue for me. I didn't hear of anyone being turned away from tech for tire issues. I'm not sure if it's common, but Michelin had a rep there and was selling tires. No idea if the prices were competitive to what you could get elsewhere (since they kind of have you trapped if you really need tires).

Have to agree with Johnny on the "street cred" -- several people commented on the chicken strips (or lack thereof) after I returned home. I just smiled and didn't tell them that it was due to sh*tty body position. :nothing: Most of them wouldn't have known what I was talking about anyway.

When I did a track day earlier this year, the "official" word was 75% tread to pass tech. I put new tires on the week before, so it wasn't an issue for me. I didn't hear of anyone being turned away from tech for tire issues. I'm not sure if it's common, but Michelin had a rep there and was selling tires. No idea if the prices were competitive to what you could get elsewhere (since they kind of have you trapped if you really need tires).

Have to agree with Johnny on the "street cred" -- several people commented on the chicken strips (or lack thereof) after I returned home. I just smiled and didn't tell them that it was due to sh*tty body position. :nothing: Most of them wouldn't have known what I was talking about anyway.

LOL @ crappy body position and no strips. I think both Pete and Johnny were more concerned with my safety and safety of the riders around me. Passing or failing tech was just something else to consider.

Bump for great, cheap opportunity to get on track! :D

So far we've got 4 people from FZ6 forum coming to this event in addition to my friend and myself.

I did decide to put new tires on before the 26th. *Cheap* insurance and I have to listen to advice of those with more (much much more) track experience.

Just got a note from ACE, confirming that leathers are included in the $99 fee:

Every New rider that has never ridden on a course can attend for $99 which includes suit, school, and track time for that day...Tell your friends! Get on the track before 2014!

Back