k & n air filter

I was thinking about throwing a k and n filter on my bike. I have heard that k and n lets a lot more dust and other particles through that the stock filter would normally catch. If i put a k & n on is this something that could cause problems down the road?

When you buy a K&N, it will come pre-oiled from the factory. The cleaning kit is something you won't need for a while, but it comes with solution and oil to use on the cotton filter media after cleaning. The oil must be used because it helps trap dirt. Over oiling is a common problem on vehicles with MAF sensors, but should be fine if you're careful.

Good stuff

I have had a K&N filter in the last 2 street bikes and one of them is 26 years old and runs fine. The cleaner kit as stated in the above posts comes with 1 bottle of the cleaner and a bottle of red colored oil, as well as instructions for application. The kit will last you for a decade worth of cleaning and oiling.

Here is a comparison of K&N vs. Stock;

IMG_0044.jpg

IMG_0043.jpg

I couldn't bring myself to keep buying $25 K&N recharge kits.... so... for the past... 6-7 years, I've been cleaning the filter by tossing it in the dishwasher.... and relubing it with this:
0000_PJ1_Fabric_Air_Filter_Oil_--.jpg

the PJ1 stuff is much cheaper... and out of one can, I can do a filter about 5-6 times.

heh... you just do it in the dishwasher by itself... with regular dish soap... then run an empty load after that to clean out any remaining grime... then, it's good to go again.

Hey, I've washed car and bike parts in the diswasher. Only when I knew my wife and kids would not be back for hours. :spank2: I think every garage should be equiped with one.:laugh2:

Around here, we have the "Re-Store", which is a store run by Habitat for Humanity... they have used dishwashers there for like... $15 ... I've almost bought a 2nd dishwasher sooooooo many times... but for now, I'm renting... so.. I'm not worried about it.... once I buy a house... there will be a 2nd dishwasher in the garage... and instead of water, it'll run a 50% solution of parts washer...

When you buy a K&N, it will come pre-oiled from the factory. The cleaning kit is something you won't need for a while, but it comes with solution and oil to use on the cotton filter media after cleaning. The oil must be used because it helps trap dirt. Over oiling is a common problem on vehicles with MAF sensors, but should be fine if you're careful.

Also some people clean them too often, they work better at trapping dirt as they get dirtier. I believe K&N says to clean around 50,000 miles but I cleaned my FJR's K&N at 27,000. Follow the directions on the cleaning kit and you will be fine.

I have never had a bad experience with K&N and I have put them in every vehicle that I have ever had - both cars and bikes.

Same here. Clean them once a year (depending on dust conditions, your mileage may vary) oil them properly and reinstall. The oil captures the dirt and holds it. Whatever dirt passes through the filter is so small in microns as to not cause any wear. It will be the last filter you will ever buy for this bike. :wow:

heh... you just do it in the dishwasher by itself... with regular dish soap... then run an empty load after that to clean out any remaining grime... then, it's good to go again.

I cleaned the carbs and heads off of my GS1100 like that once. Good thing my room mate at the time was a gear head too. :deal:

As far as a K&N, I don't use them. I don't want any more funk in my oil than I need to. At $63.00+ each I can buy a three OEM filters. And if you can't afford an OEM filter and buy K&Ns to save money you should probably not ride motorcycles as a hobby.

Last edited:
get a k&n or a bmc or any upgraded af, imho the oem lets more crap thru. these guys @ k&n have had my business for years! and will keep doing so! +1 on the jp1!!

I've washed parts in the dishwasher as well. I've also done a few computers and a couple laptops. Of course, I remove the items that would be damaged by water... Last laptop was in a fire and got smoke/water damamge. I tore it all down (smelled HORRIBLE) and ran it through the dishwasher with a diluted vinegar bath. it came out odor free and all the smoke haze gone. Dried it for a couple days and it can for the next 4 years. :D

If a K&N is maintained per their specs, it will flter as well as needed. That means using their kit to clean and oil it. I suppose you could use a detergent like dish soap then rinse well and use a light oil but for the money, I use their kit and when applied as they suggest, a little goes a long way. I use a K&N primariy so save a few bucks and it also saves an extra trip to the dealer or a shipping charge. Otherwise, a K&N costs about twice as much as the OEM. I've used then since about 1984 and had good luck with them. Used dry only, an OEM probably does a better filtering job.

Back