Just fronts?

waldo877

So typically Ive always just swapped out the fronts independently of the rears. Right now on the back is a Shinko regular sport tire. Foresee any problems with throwing a PR2 on the front? You wouldn't expect over steer with a rear tire a sport tire would you?

I've never been a fan of mixing tires myself but since the rear is a sport, maybe get a Pilot Power for the front instead. When these are gone, then get a set of PR2 or PR3s. :D

Can you believe this eff'n weather? NH needs a damned break.... and I know a groundhog that needs to die!

So typically Ive always just swapped out the fronts independently of the rears. Right now on the back is a Shinko regular sport tire. Foresee any problems with throwing a PR2 on the front? You wouldn't expect over steer with a rear tire a sport tire would you?

I'm sure this is typically like all oil threads. Many will tell you to have a matched set on your bike which I commonly do, but I don't really see an issue with having two different tires front and back, as long as the profiles aren't radically different from each other.

I've never been a fan of mixing tires myself but since the rear is a sport, maybe get a Pilot Power for the front instead. When these are gone, then get a set of PR2 or PR3s. :D

Can you believe this eff'n weather? NH needs a damned break.... and I know a groundhog that needs to die!

I agree, Eric. Time for the little rodent to DIE! :flip:
groundhog.jpg
groundhog.jpg.scaled1000.jpg

I like to keep my tires in a set, but I really don't have a good reason. I may replace the rear 2x's per front, but I'd keep the same brand/style. When my PR3's wear out, I'm thinking of trying the PP3's for a trip to the dragon.

Like others have said, if you keep the same type of tire front and back, it shouldn't be a big deal. If you intend to ride it to the limits in corners, I'd still go with a fresh matching set. The cost of a good set of tires is much cheaper than a bike that low or high sides. :2cents:

If you need a front tire, get one. The Shinko is an older tire design and the PR2 is likely to offer better traction than a partially worn Shinko. I have gone the way of sport rubber on front and sport touring rubber on the rear. It is working well so far using Dunlop Q2 on the front and Road Smart 2s on the rear.

Noooo kidding. Weare is supposed to see 14 inches....

Thanks for the advice guys. I think I'll go with a PR3 on the front, and swap the rear later. I can't waste a good rear tire, not when new is 250+ after a swap. BTW Cobalt...where do you get your tires mounted/balanced, and you find its better to order a tire through a shop? Last time I had Freedom Cycle in concord mount it to JUST the wheel, and they charged $50.

If you need a front tire, get one. The Shinko is an older tire design and the PR2 is likely to offer better traction than a partially worn Shinko. I have gone the way of sport rubber on front and sport touring rubber on the rear. It is working well so far using Dunlop Q2 on the front and Road Smart 2s on the rear.

That combo must work OK, I've seen your videos. :flash:
lean_angle.jpg
demo_store_d159704_1.gif

I've always ran the Pilot up front with a Road 2 in the rear. Rubber on the sidewalls is very similar, but the middle of the Road 2= better mileage. I have ridden this combo pretty hard and never worried, with the rear usually getting around 9k or better...

Noooo kidding. Weare is supposed to see 14 inches....

Thanks for the advice guys. I think I'll go with a PR3 on the front, and swap the rear later. I can't waste a good rear tire, not when new is 250+ after a swap. BTW Cobalt...where do you get your tires mounted/balanced, and you find its better to order a tire through a shop? Last time I had Freedom Cycle in concord mount it to JUST the wheel, and they charged $50.

I change my own tires. ;) Come on over! :D

Back