JOTR'S First Race

johnnyontherocks

The Cosmic Avenger
I finished a required school to get my license. I also competed in 2 races. My first race was a Super Sport and my second was a Super Bike class. The Super Sport was the most exciting for me. Gridding up for the first time and anticipating the green flag was giving me heart palpitations. I started on the last row with two others. I actually got the jump on them. I was charging into turn 1 and watching the melee that is a sprint start into the first corner was scary enough that I rolled out of the throttle and said F that S. Then I was passed by the two I got the jump on. There I was going into turn one last :( . My goal was not to crash or finish last and here I was last.

I put my head down, hit my marks and rode my ride. Before the end of lap one I managed to pick off the rider in front of me. My mind was like HOLY S I passed somebody. The second lap I picked off two more between T5 and T6 on Thunderbolt. I became even more determined. The next rider in front of me is a friend named Ron. We were in TPM's Art 1 class for our first track day. He has since been bumped to advanced group but not I :( . It took me two laps to get close enough to make a move. I had a great run out of T3 chicane. I pulled along side Ron going up wheelie hill. Normally I slightly roll off the gas and ride the rear brake a little but not today. I went over wheelie hill pinned in fourth, carrying the front wheel about two and a half feet off the ground at 115 mph passing Ron. Anyone in the grand stands in that section could probable hear me screaming in my helmet, AHhhhhhhhh.....

I went on to finish 10th out of 17. It was truly a personal victory. I still havent received my A group bump.

Last edited:
Awesome, Johnny!! Psyched for you!! I had no idea there would be a race at T-bolt today. I would've stuck around to cheer you on if I knew (I was there yesterday for track day on Lightning).

So wait.. you just kicked butt in this race and you're still not in A group??? That makes no sense to me :confused:

It was on the 14th.I've been to busy to post anything. A lot of people scratch their heads about me still being in I group. It's all fine. I still have a great time. Its not about the group, Its about your personal enjoyment.

Way to go Johhny, I'm happy for you and also jealous on the same note :blahblah: I think now to myself in my helmet 'AAAARGH, still have some way to go before I'd can get a license, let alone participate in races'

Sounds like fun Johnny! You'll get faster brother, much, much faster...just wait and see. Make sure you go every race weekend, and enter as many classes as you can. You'll adjust to the AAAARRRRRHHHH!!!!moments, look back and think, "What was I thinking? Can of Corn."

My best season I got a 5th place finish and 10th overall for the season in Lightweight Superbike.

The best memory I have is passing 5 bikes going into a corner. The worst? My RD400 breaking during the Streets of Steamboat and having to push the bike over the finish line. My big crash? I don't remember anything but the initial get off and looking down at my bike as it got smaller, and smaller. Then waking up in the hospital asking for meds. Only to hear, "We can't give you any more." Nothing like a high side at 110+.

I've been mumbling about getting my CMRA license, then I remember the broken bones, helicopter flights, the freaked out family, and years of recovery.

F*ck that crap! I need to get my license back! :flip: Maybe next year?

Last edited:
Having only done one track day, I can't even imagine the thrill. Just thinking about the starting line gives me palpitations! Don't get me wrong, that single track day was the most fun I've ever had on two wheels.

Well done, keep up the great work, and keep the rubber side down! How long is the racing "season" for you?

Just thinking about the starting line gives me palpitations!

Want to have some fun? Try lining up with 20 other MX bikes on the line and bar-banging into turn 1 during a motocross race! That was some Oh SH*T stuff for sure... knowing all the carnage and contact that was coming as soon as the gate dropped!

Happy to hear you had such a great time at the track Clyde! I love it as well and my wife is even getting totally into it lately.

I also blame that on Johnny since Renee goes out there and he talks us into TPM track days all the time. He's a really bad influence on my wallet, but I love it.

Awesome stuff Johnny!!

It gets addictive, huh? I love it.

It also gets expensive :( and of course crashing sucks, like Pete said :(

I started back in Feb and had a little fun for part of the year. Maybe next year I will do more races or hopefully a full season.

:sport12::sport12:

Back