JOTR's 2014 Race Season

johnnyontherocks

The Cosmic Avenger
So my first full season of racing begins this Saturday. I will be running a Supersport and a Superbike class @ NJMP on Thunderbolt. This will be my first time on a full on DOT race tire(so excited). I've already put in 4 track days, 2 @ NCBIKE(on the Ape) and 2 at VIR(in the rain) so I won't feel completely rusty.

I just bought a 1999 Ford hightop conversion van as a race hauler and I'am totally excited to get the season rollin.

my schedule is as follows

4/19 NJMP thunderbolt.
5/11 NJMP Lightning
5/18 Pocono East course
6/13 VIR North
7/27 PITT (Beaver Run)
8/11 NJMP Thunderbolt
9/01 NJMP Thunderbolt
10/13 NJMP Thunderbolt

Michigan is a bit of a hike for me!!!

Super Sport I finished 7th out of 20

Super Bike I took 11 out of 22

All in all a great day. Also received my Advanced group bump:sport12:

Yeah there's no track near me either. Although my county got voted one of 10 most attractive tourist destinations in the US. Good enough for a visit right? :rofl:

Wow, that was cool! Good work John. It was fun watching you reel in those two guys in front. Towards the end looked like you just kept getting faster; crazy stuff. Can't wait to see more.:woot:

Video 1. Super Sport race.

Poor guy who got around you and lost it on the first chicane.. cold track + cold tires.. they always say that's where most crashes happen early in the day.

Great (educational) video for me! I'll be doing a track day there 1 week from today. Noticed your lines was quite different from the *taught* qualifying line. Were you intentionally farther from the edge as you were approaching several turning points.. to take away inside line form racers behind you?

Poor guy who got around you and lost it on the first chicane.. cold track + cold tires.. they always say that's where most crashes happen early in the day.

Great (educational) video for me! I'll be doing a track day there 1 week from today. Noticed your lines was quite different from the *taught* qualifying line. Were you intentionally farther from the edge as you were approaching several turning points.. to take away inside line form racers behind you?

Erci, I wish I could say it was a plan but sadly no. I'm still new to racing and I seem to be more ridged than I should. I was off my marks some. Also racing line's and track day lines can be very different. It is best to stay on designated line on a track day for a lot of safety reasons and coaching reasons. Racing lines tend to run a bit deeper into the corner but in my case its just not being on my game. The session after the second race is the best session I've had on thunderbolt and did a best of 1:36.2 and consistant 37's. That session earned me my advance group bump. Had I done that in the races I would have been top 5 but oh well.

I almost went down with that guy but was able to catch the bike. If you look closely you can see my bike move around and run wide. Yikes

Last edited:
Deeper and squarer typically.

Pass to the inside too. I've never gotten comfortable with the whole pass on the outside thing as it doesn't make any sense.

Nice vid Johnny.

I think you'll really improve this year. Year two was my biggest year for improving. Years three and four I settled in.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I747 using Tapatalk

Back