is it dangerous to drop the front only ?

I put a lowering kit for the rear cause of my 5'7 size and I get back to oem for the rear because of somes problems went backseated with the center stand, but keep the front lowered by 1'' inch. is it dangerous to to it or I should put the front back to stock to be egal to the rear. I dont ride hard in the curves but i do speed in strait lines some times. I really dont know, some guys told its can be dangerous on a r1 because its really powerful in high rpms ranges and its light but on the fz1 ?... :stunta]:

Basically you've knocked the steering geometry out of whack. You now have a steeper fork out in front of you. Although the angle hasn't changed you've changed the trail and I'm sure you'll notice a difference in how it handles. I'd put it back where it was to be safe and have a well handling bike

I am pretty sure that the rule of thumb is not to lower the front more than
5mm up through the trees in order to maintain your geometry. However, I don't know how that works out when you have also lowered the rear. You don't want to mess around with your steering geometry. I am sure that VA Rider could shed some more light on the subject.

really close Billy... the preferred method on the Gen 1 is to raise the front forks (lowering the ride height) no more than 7mm... measuring from the triple clamp to the top of the cap on the fork, 7mm makes the turn-in a bit easier and really changes the handling characteristics of the bike....

If the bike was lowered, we'd follow the same idea... if the rear is lowered 1 inch, we'd want to do the front at 1 inch + 7mm in order to keep the ratio the same front to rear...

By raising the rear back to stock height, and leaving the front lower, the rake actually remains the same in relation to the frame (as a result of the angles of the steering neck and triple clamps, the angle of forks to the frame will never change, regardless of how much you raise or lower the forks) but what does happen is that the overall geometry of the bike changes because with the front still lowered 1 inch, the forks stand more upright than in stock form...

Also, with the rear raised significantly above the front, the bike will be more likely to develop speed wobble in a "tank-slapper" fashion.

Makes sense now, b/c I had raised links on the fox double clicker, and when I changed out to the stock shock, with stock links, the bike feels alot more stable to me.

Back