is it all worth it?

dcrpd

so i am pretty new to the world of the fz1. i just bought a 09 right off the showroom floor. i have the problem of not liking stock. however i like inexpensive. is all the mods ive seen really worth it for simple mods? and does anyone have any experience with a two bros juice box? i dont like messing with maps.

I had a two brothers juice box and two brothers carbon fiber muffler and thought it was great. I never had it dyno'd or any of that good stuff but it felt a little peppier (hard to tell because the FZ1 already has a lot of juice stock), sounded great and upped my MPG's considerably from 35 to 41 MPG. It seems most everyone else has gone with the power commander.

so i am pretty new to the world of the fz1. i just bought a 09 right off the showroom floor. i have the problem of not liking stock. however i like inexpensive. is all the mods ive seen really worth it for simple mods? and does anyone have any experience with a two bros juice box? i dont like messing with maps.

With what I have listed in my signature there is a huge difference. I have recently completed these mods switching maps with the PCIII is easy as 1,2,3. Duken4eva on the other fz site has a bunch of free maps that you can down load. I am currently trying his perfection map, that being said there are a bunch available for free with descriptions that are good all you have to do is down load it. If your on a budget the full yoshi is a must. I'am still on the fence with the FCE( to buy or not to buy that is the question)

I agree with what has been said above. I've let my FZ breathe better and it likes it. You don't have to spend a ton of money to get some nice gains. Most of the parts can be picked up here or on the "other" site. Some careful shopping, a little elbow grease, and advice from those who have done it already should make your task fairly easy. Do a little searching on the FZ1 sites for info, formulate your stratagy and have at it.
BTW welcome to the FZ addiction.

Air Box Mod

Hi All,

Have been reading for quite sometimes here. Really good info, thanks to all. Really like it to be in here. I'm new with FZ1 ('06). The mods i've done so far: Akra slip on, Gutted Cat and AIS block. Just want to know if do the air box mod without PC3, can it gain some more HP or PC3 is a must to gain more HP with air box mod. Thanks.

I'd suggest getting a Power Commander over a Juice Box. The reason is you actually remove more fuel than you add fuel, and the Juice Box only allows you to add fuel to three very vague zones. Witha PC you can be very specific with the fuel management. Now the new JB Pro can use PC maps but at that point you may as well buy a PC.

I'd suggest getting a Power Commander over a Juice Box. The reason is you actually remove more fuel than you add fuel, and the Juice Box only allows you to add fuel to three very vague zones. Witha PC you can be very specific with the fuel management. Now the new JB Pro can use PC maps but at that point you may as well buy a PC.

the issue i have is more or less the power commander is something i dont want to screw up a map on from the lack of experience. i dont want my brand new bike to screw up between my legs!

The best map you can get is one done professionally on a dyno (by a good tuner) for your bike and your mods.
I'm like you and I prefer to leave the tuning to the professionals.

I had a two brothers juice box and two brothers carbon fiber muffler and thought it was great. I never had it dyno'd or any of that good stuff but it felt a little peppier (hard to tell because the FZ1 already has a lot of juice stock), sounded great and upped my MPG's considerably from 35 to 41 MPG. It seems most everyone else has gone with the power commander.

Upped the MPG? Did you just slap it in with the recommended settings, or did you tinker with it to get the results? I have a Dobeck TFI and it has made a nice power difference but the settings I have on it now are not good for MPG... I can tune this out I'm sure (my goal is to make quick manual adjustments for different riding- i.e. tune it for mpg on long hauls, and for more power on shorter, faster runs). I'm just wondering how it all went for you with the JB.

As for the OP's question, replacing or re-valving the rear shock has made the single biggest difference IMO. I really want a set of headers next.

the issue i have is more or less the power commander is something i dont want to screw up a map on from the lack of experience. i dont want my brand new bike to screw up between my legs!

Oh there are soooo many maps out there not too worry. And really if you're uncomfortable with the PC3 don't bother with the JB and there is really no way for the home user (sans dyno) to know what they are really doing to fuel delivery.

A PC3 or 5 and a custom tune is a thing of beauty. :sport12:

The best map you can get is one done professionally on a dyno (by a good tuner) for your bike and your mods.
I'm like you and I prefer to leave the tuning to the professionals.

A PC3 or 5 and a custom tune is a thing of beauty. :sport12:

This.

While there are many many maps available out there, nothing will be as good as one that is made specifically for YOUR bike. ... my recommendation would be to do the mads you want... install a map on your PC3/PC5 that was made for a bike with similar mods.... then as soon as you can, get to a dyno shop and have them make you a custom map.

Upped the MPG? Did you just slap it in with the recommended settings, or did you tinker with it to get the results? I have a Dobeck TFI and it has made a nice power difference but the settings I have on it now are not good for MPG... I can tune this out I'm sure (my goal is to make quick manual adjustments for different riding- i.e. tune it for mpg on long hauls, and for more power on shorter, faster runs). I'm just wondering how it all went for you with the JB.

As for the OP's question, replacing or re-valving the rear shock has made the single biggest difference IMO. I really want a set of headers next.

I had a shop put it in for me and I believe, as you said, he used the recommended settings. There was absolutely no doubt I was getting much better mileage. The power change was only a guess on my part but it felt a little perkier.

I ran one of the free map's on my bike for a whole season. It ran just fine. After popping for a custom map the difference was worth the money. The downloadable maps won't hurt your bike, but the custom one will really make it sing.

As you know already, the stock FZ1 is a pretty potent bike and It will kick the snot out of a lot of other bikes it's size, and do it in stock form. Yes, you can work on the intake, install an aftermarket can and use a PCIII to modify your fueling and get some added H.P. Most of us have but is it really necessary unless you're going racing? I absolutely doubt it. Do what you can and enjoy the bike.

Back