Impressions Wanted: DrySpec bags

I've been struggling with what bags to get for my longer trips. Givi bags aren't within my budget, and I'm not sure they're a good fit given that I only take a hand-full of "touring" trips per year.

I've looked at the SW-Motech Bags-Connection Blaze model, and like how easy they are to put on and take off, and leave (almost) no trace on the bike when they're removed. There are a few posts on the topic here and there on this forum, so I feel like I have a good idea of what they'd be like on my FZ1.

I've also been looking at the DrySpec bags from Twisted Throttle. These are guaranteed 100% waterproof, and have much more storage space than the Blaze bags. They seem to be secure from a mounting perspective. I even spent some time checking them out at the recent IMS in Cleveland, and they look solid. One concern that was raised by a friend was that mounting them on my passenger seat might make it impossible to swing my leg over when hopping on the bike. I'm pretty flexible, but am not sure if I can stretch my leg another 18" higher. Probably not a huge deal, since I can "step through" to get on the bike when I'm touring with them mounted on the tail.

Anyway... I'm curious if anyone has used a set of these DrySpec bags on their FZ1. What are your general impressions, and are there any "gotcha's" that you've found through use?

I have a discount code (10% off and free shipping) from TwistedThrottle from the IMS show, and I want to make a decision before it expires on Feb 11.

I have the bags connection bags and they are awesome. They are lite and very well built. I love that the bike looks almost completely stock when you take them off. The brackets are solid and keep the bags from shifting around like cheaper soft bags would.

I use those saddle bags in conjunction with a tour master duffle that straps on the rear. I have some photos around here somewhere.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited:
Yes, that's one of the benefits of the saddle bags. I am attracted to the DrySpec bags for several reasons:

• They're larger (66 liters for the pair vs 42 for the saddle bags).
  • Outside is waterproof, so I wouldn't have to mess with liners.
  • Multi-purpose... I could take them on my non-motorcycle camping trips, which often include canoeing.
  • They are large compartments, allowing for things like my sleeping bag, tent, and tent poles to fit inside.
  • They're a little bit less expensive.

I'm planning to get a tank bag (from SW-motech) too, so small items and everyday riding stuff would go in there. The larger bags would be exclusively for longer trips. I've never ridden with a large tail-bag of any kind, but I'm comfortable with a passenger on the back of my bike. Any luggage I put on there would surely be lighter than a pillion rider.

I ordered the pair of DrySpec bags (D38 and D28) as well as the "Engage" tank bag. The DrySpecs are back-ordered until mid-March, which I already knew about, but they are going to ship the tank bag separately, so I should have it next week. It's not exactly going to be riding weather any time soon, according to the forecast, but I'm already excited about being able to carry a few small items in something other than a backpack. Technically, it'll be my first "mod" after all! I got the non-electrified version.

Once I have the tank bag, I'll post some pics over in the product review forum.

Those Dryspec look pretty good. I have a Kriega bag & it works great:

Kriega US20 Drypack - Moto Adventure Gear, Inc.

It is mounted only on my passenger seat:

fz1yb-albums-various-bike-picts-picture2306-devils-backbone.html

Thanks! I wasn't able to find any images of the DrySpec bag on the back of a Gen II. Would have been nice to see what it will look like all strapped down to a bike like mine. With the grab-bars on the back, I'm not sure if I will be able to mount it "horizontally", or if I'll be restricted to having it in line with the rest of the bike. The rigid liner should be enough to support it, I think.

That Kriega looks SHARP!!!!
Wish I would have seen that before I bought my dry luggage. I ran into a sale for Wolfman's Dry Bag - Last years model for $50 shipped and couldn't turn it down. It is a long duffle bag and not quite as attractive as say the Kriega design but it was one of those buys I couldn't see passing up.
I have logged almost 10K with this dry-bag and not only is it tough (no signs of wear and tear) but it has kept my stuff completely dry!
Not bad for $50!!!! :tup:

Wolfman Motorcycle Luggage - Expedition Dry Line

I bought the bag in the middle. LOL Probably the least attractive out of all the bags posted. However, $50 is nothing to laugh at for dry bag that really works.
His newer models are more attractive but I will let you dig around his site. I'm not trying to promote him an any way>
I really like that Kriega Bag and the price is pretty attractive as well.

Back