How to install grip heaters

Thanks for posting that. My bike already had them installed when I got it and since it was summer I thought nothing of it. Now that it's getting a little chilly in the mornings I love them :)

I was considering heated grips to be untethered from the bike, i.e. heated gloves. So, question to those with them? What are the pros/cons of either the grips or the gloves?

Thanks and thanks for the great write-up! :tup:

I was considering heated grips to be untethered from the bike, i.e. heated gloves. So, question to those with them? What are the pros/cons of either the grips or the gloves?

Thanks and thanks for the great write-up! :tup:

Well the pros are easy...you can use any gloves you want and unless riding in extreme cold non-perforated full gauntlet gloves should be comfortable.

The cons...the heated gloves will feel better since the heat will be more evenly distributed around your hand.

For me the heated grips are good enough. If they can't do their job on the high setting then it's too cold to ride. No point in being uncomfortable just for the sake of being on the bike.

I just read this article, great write up, and I love the heated gloves. I think I'll install the grip heaters just for those days when It gets colder in the evening, and I've been caught with lighter gloves.

Look for trackside heated grip pads. I know three people who use them and I use them myself. They have a high-low switch and you can use any grips you like with them. Pretty sure I bought mine at http://www.cyclegear.com/spgm.cfm?L1=&L2=&L3=&L4=&item=PRC_12-170_G

They are more expensive than the ones you are looking at, but worth the cost. I tried a cheap pair on my VTX a few years back, they installed just as easy, but they didn't heat up evenly and without the High-Low switch I found myself turning them on and off too much so I didn't burn my hand.

Sent from my HTC EVO 4G using Tapatalk.

Last edited:
We have to buy aftermarket grips or the stock ones work?

The stock ones would work just fine if you can remove them w/o destroying them. I still have the stock ones and I have a similar set up to the one you posted, but it has a hi/lo switch. I find that hi is usually too much and just prefer to use the lo setting most of the time.

They were pretty easy than I thought to be. I went with the $34 Symtec grips from casporttouring. Just had to drill the side of the fairing for the switch.

Dragging up an old thread... ;)

I bought two sets of these and will be installing them on the two bikes. Did you reuse the stock grips or cut them off and replace them with something else?

Looking for tips and tricks to get the stock grips off in one piece then get them back on with these heating elements in place. Thanks!!

WD-40 and a flat head screw driver will work well. No need to cut those grips.

Did you use any sort of grip glue to put them back on or did you use the hairspray trick? Did they go back on fairly easy?

My only concern about these will be the wear and tear on the throttle side with the constant flexing of the wire.

Thanks!!

Did you use any sort of grip glue to put them back on or did you use the hairspray trick? Did they go back on fairly easy?

My only concern about these will be the wear and tear on the throttle side with the constant flexing of the wire.

Thanks!!

I just put them back and they have stayed put as I don't think I got rid of the stock glue. WD-40 makes it enough tacky to remain tight on the tubes. Hairspray trick works too.

BUT, I preferred installing grip heaters over the stock grips under the grip puppies like someone on FZ6 forum did.

I installed mine yesterday, I draw 2 new cables from the battery (+-), I put fuses on the both. I made my grip heaters work with a relay, which takes the opening power from the parking light. If you use the power from the parking light, remember to add length to the cords, they are so short originally.

Wd-40 or any grease does good when installing tubes, the best is to use something that disappear with time. I blew air through the tubes before installing the handlebar weights.

If a relay is used be sure to use the right polarity for the opening power, depending on how connected earlier. It took a bit time for me to notice the fault (dumb me). I noticed the fault when the relay started clicking when connecting the battery (the battery worked as the opening power, leaving the relay useless).

Also it is good to put some aluminium tape under the left tube, because else heat is lost through convection?(not sure of the term) to the handlebar and not to the tube itself.
I would not put aluminium tape on the right side cause the mount between the tube and the throttle lever is so tight originally. The second reason is that it is plastic, amount of convection is smaller.

Sorry for my terrible english, I speak on daily basis only Swedish and Finnish.

After a quick test yesterday, I would say money well spent :)

Back