How to change Engine Oil on Gen 2 FZ1

Just did an oil change today as well. Good video, always make sure to start it up for about a minute then check the level on the glass after you change it before riding off because I'll guarantee you'll need to top it off again. BTW Rotella T6 is the kitties tittays.

Nice video,

I'd put some Ali foil over the headers to keep the oil off of them when you pull the oil filter off. That way you don't have the burning smell when you start it up & avoid burnt oil stains on the headers.

Nice video,

I'd put some Ali foil over the headers to keep the oil off of them when you pull the oil filter off. That way you don't have the burning smell when you start it up & avoid burnt oil stains on the headers.

Yeah I thought of that as soon as I loosened the filter. I am not exactly allowed to work on vehicles inside the apartment complex. So was trying to get it done ASAP. Next time I will be prepared with alum foil.

Speaking of aluminum. The rubber belt on comercial oil filter snapped (edited out of vid), so I pulled out the home made oil filter wrernch (used in vid), which I fabricated with an aluminum bar and nylon belt a while ago for my car's massive oil filter. Worked much better than the commercial rubber belt one ever did.

You could always use the K&N filters that have a nut on the top. That way you can use a socket or wrench to remove the filter.

The K&N filter is a good recommendation much easier to get the filter on and off plus you can torque to the specs if you are that picky. I went with a K&N filter good build quality and also made for synthetic oils, some oil filters are not made for synthetic oil and can break down the paper filter.

Bel-Ray Synthetic EXS and K&N filter #204.jpg

Thanks for the video. I always take off the oil filler cap before draining just to help vent the engine when the drain plug is removed, makes the flow a little bit smoother and minimizes splashing as the oil comes out. And there is more oil that will drain out if the bike is taken off the center stand and put on the sidestand, so I start the process on the centerstand and when that stops I'll roll it off and put the bike on the sidestand. I can do this without disturbing my drain pan and you get maybe 1/4 to 1/3 of a quart more oil.

I always use the K&N oil filter but I had a problem last week when I changed it. I put it on with a closed end wrench previously with no issues, but when I used the same wrench to remove it it just rounded off the corners on the nut so the wrench was worthless. I had to use a ViseGrip on the nut and that did allow me to loosen the filter. Don't know what the issue was, we'll see how it comes off next time.

Last edited:
Thanks for making a video! I'm sure it'll come in handy for people!

I always forget to remove the oil filler cap until I've already started draining. :) It's all the way on the other side of the bike! I started training myself to remove it first.

I have a few oil filter sockets for my bikes so it makes removing any filter a piece of cake. I think the two I have pretty much covers every modern Japanese bike.

61oVHC8rwjL._SL1100_.jpg

Super easy to use even in a cramped spot.

Last edited:
Back