How often should you get a new helmet to make sure it's safe?

I am wondering what considerations you use for use for thinking you need a new helmet? Is there any logic to how many hours a helmet should be worn before replacing it? I would think dropping a helmet frequently would impact the ability for the helmet to protect you in a fall. Obviously....when you want a new one would be another factor, or if a helmet has a feature you really want. My main concern is safety so, if you have some input in that area that would be great.

Well I guess that all depends how old the helmet is. I would imagine that if you wear a helmet often you'd want to replace it every five years or so. Any accident, no matter how small, that you have with it obviously requires replacement or it may not protect you next time. Given all the advances and the fact that there are new Snell 2010 standards I would upgrade the helmet if you can afford it. I kind of remember you posting on another thread that you had a Scorpion EXO 400...

Everyone that I have spoken to says 5 years.
I have read every 2 to 4 years from the "Motorcycle Safety Foundation". I'm honestly not real sure who they are. :confused0024:
If you drop your helmet - be sure to inspect it thoroughly. Make sure there are not cracks/ damage as that can effect it's ability to protect your brain.
On a side note - I have had more damage done to my helmets by children than anything else!!!! For some reasons kids think these helmets that cost hundreds of dollars are toys and they plop them on their heads. Helmets are designed to protect from impact - not dirty little hands!!! I have had 3 helmet visors broken because kids thought they were astronauts. I was pissed!!! :spank2:
Keep helmets out of reach of kids!!!!!

Last edited:
I kind of remember you posting on another thread that you had a Scorpion EXO 400...

Thanks Tony.

Yeah, I have the Scorprion EXO-400 (small). I like the fit of the EXO-400, but if there is something quieter, I would definitely think about an alternative. I tried some head phones in my helmet last night for a short while with the volume at the normal level I listen to my ipod on. After about 35 mph, I couldn't hear my ipod at all. I would expect that I would need to turn it up higher to be able to hear it but I am also concerned about hearing loss.

The first helmet I bought was a GMAX (large). I was just getting started with bikes and did not know how to fit my helmet, that thing was huge on me.

I just made the investment for a new lid because my other one was a piece of crap and was literally falling apart. Got me a Shoei RF-1100 and I plan to have that at least 5 years.

Helmets are designed to work on large heads in big impacts.

Smaller heads and/or smaller impacts may not exert ENOUGH energy to effectively use the helmet. (imagine being a 150lb rider on a bike with suspension for a 250lb rider, you would have zero static sag... you couldn't compress the suspension at all.... that's what having a small head in a SNELL2005 helmet is like)

Dropping an empty helmet from bike height is only going to damage the paint... it is not a far enough fall or enough energy to deform the styrofoam on the inside.

There have been a number of articles on this subject, the most notorious one is the Motorcyclist Magazine's "Blowing the Lid Off" series. I was published across three magazine issues, but you can still find copies of the article online. Best safety article in a major magazine EVER: Blowing the lid off

Also, Hellforleathermagazine.com did a couple write-ups on helmets and safety for children and people with exceptionally small heads. I can't find that specific article at the moment, but they have a ton of other articles on helmets and helmet technology which are quite good.

I usually get a new helmet when I see a new one I like. I know that is vague as can be but that is the reality of it, which is every 3 to 5 years. Once the liner is shot I'll begin looking.

That said I keep all of my helmets in a helmet bag and inside of the house. They last much longer that way.

Thanks Tony.

Yeah, I have the Scorprion EXO-400 (small). I like the fit of the EXO-400, but if there is something quieter, I would definitely think about an alternative. I tried some head phones in my helmet last night for a short while with the volume at the normal level I listen to my ipod on. After about 35 mph, I couldn't hear my ipod at all. I would expect that I would need to turn it up higher to be able to hear it but I am also concerned about hearing loss.

The first helmet I bought was a GMAX (large). I was just getting started with bikes and did not know how to fit my helmet, that thing was huge on me.

Peter if you're looking for a quiet helmet then take a look at the new Shoei Qwest helmet. It's geared towards the sport touring side, but still vents pretty good and is very quiet from all the reviews that I have seen. Plus it's Snell 2010 rated. Don't think you can go wrong with it and if you buy one in a solid color it's relatively affordable.

I can't answer your question about what time frame to replace a non-damaged helmet, but I've wondered that myself. I know I've ridden with very old helmets that I'm sure were past their prime.

My wife and I also just bought new Shoei RF-1100's and are very happy with them. I have also heard the Shoei Qwest is a very quiet helmet. The RF-1100 isn't bad either.

I know these videos don't really answer your question, but they do provide some insight into safety testing from DOT vs ECE (European standard). These are from WebBikeWorld.com inside the Nolan factory. Since you are interested in safety, I thought they might be interesting.

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3EH3wycgpzk]YouTube - Nolan Factory Tour - How to Make a Motorcycle Helmet[/ame]
[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Cl3br1PJ5-g]YouTube - DOT vs. ECE Motorcycle Helmet Safety Standards[/ame]

And here is WebBikeWorld.com's review of the Shoei Qwest

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WZIHflIxofI]YouTube - Shoei Qwest Motorcycle Helmet[/ame]

Last edited:
Shoei's website had this to say:

Helmet Replacement
Ultimately, the useful service life of a safety helmet is dependent on the intensity and frequency of its use. Helmet replacement is recommended even if only one of the under-mentioned points applies:

1. The helmet was subjected to an impact.
  2. The comfort padding or the retention system has become loose due to heavy use or display signs of deterioration.
  3. The synthetic foam padding displays signs of heavy use and the helmet feels too loose. Test: with the retention system fastened, the helmet turns to the side when you gently shake your head.
  4. There are indentations in the EPS liner and/or white scratches can be seen on surfaces with black paint.
  5. Even if none of these is applied, we, SHOEI, recommend replacement in 5 years after it's first purchased at retail.

I bought my first helmet a few months ago and, like all things, had to do WAY too much research on it. I came to the conclusion that the new SNELL 2010 standard was a good reason to go for the newer one. I am very happy I made that decision and I just love my Arai. If I ever went down and my helmet hit I'd replace it no matter how it may look on the outside, just my feelings on it. I have heard that the material inside does have a shelf life, anyone else heard that? So I'd definitely would replace it any time the safety of it would be compromised IMO. That's the one piece of ridding gear I won't compromise on, well actually I won't compromise on any, I've grown quite attached to all my limbs toes and fingers if you know what I mean :)

Back