Hot Sport/Touring Tire Deal!

Recon Viper 1

First, let me qualify something. I was trained to "believe half of what you see and none of what you hear". Second, I read product reviews online and one says it's the best thing that ever happened and the next says it's krappe.

It's hard to make any sense of what is posted and you have to filter it with good judgement but you can glean some sense out of it if you pursue.

I monitor the major cut-rate, good reputation, online retailers and watch the prices closely. I'm on Dunlop RoadSmarts and am impressed to the point that I would replace with the same but I'm looking at all options.

Pirelli Angel ST EMS have been well spoken of and appear to be an exceptional tire in adhesion and tread life and I have been watching prices on them. You may see prices for a pair in the $300 range. The extended mileage EMS is different from the standard ST and seems to be a premium tire. Reports suggest that it is very sticky and has good handling attributes but offers long life as well.

Jake Wilson was advertising them at a good price, about $265 delivered, but I was uncertain whether they were standard Angel ST or ST EMS, so I emailed. They confirmed they were ST EMS, the extended mileage compound but I didn't buy at that point.

I checked today and the price is down to $231.98, including 3 day delivery, and I placed my order today. Competition Accessories is offering a "package deal" at $283.98.

Take a look but make your own decision.

Pirelli illustrated its confidence in the new ST by flying us to the proving ground at Nardo, Italy, to watch some world tyre endurance records being broken. A Suzuki Hayabusa and Kawasaki GTR1400 set off around the 7.8-mile circular test track... and the Hayabusa came back on the same set of Angel ST tyres 24 hours and 3,209 miles later, having averaged 143mph – a new world record for a production bike in this class.

And in the real world? I tried the Angel ST on a variety of bikes, including BMW K 1300 GT, Moto Guzzi Sport and Honda CBF600S, and on every one the improvement in straight-line stability at speed was noticeable. At the same time, agility – usually sacrificed at stability's altar – is enhanced and the ride quality is outstanding. The tyres also warmed up very quickly to offer good feel and grip almost from the outset – I was very impressed.

Pirelli says tyre life matches the old Diablo Strada, which the Angel ST replaces. This will vary enormously from bike to bike and rider to rider, but 5,000-9,000 miles should be typical for a rear. The gains are in grip and, especially, wet-weather performance, where Pirelli claims to be class leader.

If these tires come even close to the reported performance and mileage, they will be a steal.

180/55ZR-17 (73W) Pirelli Angel ST Rear Motorcycle Tire | Jake Wilson

pir_10_tir_ang_st_rea.jpg

This is not an invitation to debate. If you disagree with anything stated here, and I'm certain some will, please keep it to a polite discussion. I know some of you can wear out a tire in 36 miles as you are the hottest rider on the planet; but I am simply making a comment based upon what I believe to be accurate.

Please research the online info and data available and make your own decision.

Thanks Viper! Pirellis are great tires. I currently have a Diablo on the back of the FZ and it works great. I imagine this tire is even better.

Last edited:
I have no hard data but all the guys I have talked to that have them are quite impressed.Also this was before the EMS compound.

I do understand what you mean. I've been reading comments, feedback and reports and have tried to filter out the trash and currently believe this is going to be a good choice.

I've watched the prices closely and the best deals I've found up to now were right around $269. This is a good chunk better and I've deal with Jake Wilson before and they live up to their promises.

As I said above, I emailed them and specifically asked whether these were EMS and they positively stated that they were.

Mine will be here Wednesday.

Last edited:
I love the roadsmarts..aren't they cheaper then this Pirelli?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

No.

I'm on Dunlop RoadSmarts right now and have a very high opinion of them. I'd buy another set of RoadSmarts in an instant.

The BEST price currently for RoadSmarts is $261 and I think that is at Jake Wilson also but many listings are at $308.

I would replace my RoadSmarts without a second thought but the Pirellis appear to be, at the least, an equally good choice; though possibly even better; and the price is substantially lower.

If.........I could find Dunlop RoadSmarts at the same price, the choice would be difficult.

Last edited:
I remember a while back I posted about a 75% off Pirelli sale at Motorcycle Superstore that ended up being a bit misleading--it was 75% off MSRP which wound up only being another 10% off their existing price.

Well, I managed to convince another bike parts site I use to price match that 75% and subsequently ordered a whole crap-load of Pirellis at unbelievable prices that I wound up flipping for mega profit. One set was a pair of Angel STs that would have fit my current SV650 (although I still had the FZ1 at the time); they came in at a whopping $175 shipped for the pair and I managed to sell them within a day for $250 up here in Canada. I also managed to score a set of Diablo Rossos in hypersport sizes for $190 and flipped those for $280!

Maybe some day I'll find another deal like that. :D

Last edited:
Pirelli Angel ST EMS mini review

Was in the market for some tires for my 02 FZ1 that I purchased in May from a Pawn Shop. I hadn’t bought streetbike tires for about 20 years and Holy Moly was I in for sticker shock when I strolled into the shop!

Fortunately I saw the thread from ReconViper about Tire Deal Thread. Clicked on it and it took me about 5 minute to pull the trigger as I couldn’t turn down a pair of new skins delivered to my door for $230.

Found a local Ducati exr-acer/mechanic and he has a tire machine that doesn’t abuse the rim and did them while I waited and checked out some of the rare bikes he had in his shop. He’s one of the few guys in town that the carbon fiber wheel boys go to. Only bummer was the guy installed what seemed like a lot of weight on the front. The rear needed none. I asked him about the DynaBeads. He’s from the old school. His reply “don’t waste your time”.

Also installed a new Yuasai OEM Battery and she fired right up and I headed for a quick cruise up to the lake as the sun set down and provided a beautiful Arizona Sunset as I rode with a smile on my face. The tires seemed to work good and gave me confidence them. So far I am impressed.

Pirelli_Angel_11_18_11_15%25252C500m2.jpg

Pirelli_Angel_11_18_11_15%25252C500m4.jpg

Pirelli_Angel_11_18_11_15%25252C500m7.jpg

Pirelli_Angel_11_18_11_15%25252C500m5.jpg

Disclaimer: DIRTY GARAGE FLOOR THOSE ARE NOT CHICKEN STRIPS!!!!!!!!
Banane33.gif

Now I’m waiting for my FZR6 shock and should have it soon.

SaquaroLake9_18_2011a.jpg

SaquaroLake9_18_2011.jpg

Last edited:
Went back out this time with Jan and we stopped at a deli and headed with sami’s to the lake.

This should definitely get me some action tonight! Hehehehe
alcoholic.gif

Anyway I now have 70 miles and am liking these tires more and more. Traction is excellent and they are smooth and comfortable at speed (couple of 100 mph blasts).

Here are some better pics than those crappy ones.

Pirelli_Angel_11_18_11_15%25252C500m12.jpg

Pirelli_Angel_11_18_11_15%25252C500m11.jpg

Pirelli_Angel_11_18_11_15%25252C500m10.jpg

Pirelli_Angel_11_18_11_15%25252C500m9.jpg

It was another Beautiful day…….

Pirelli_Angel_11_18_11_15%25252C500m14.jpg

Hope you enjoyed the pics...
G

One set was a pair of Angel STs that would have fit my current SV650 (although I still had the FZ1 at the time); they came in at a whopping $175 shipped for the pair and I managed to sell them within a day for $250 up here in Canada. I also managed to score a set of Diablo Rossos in hypersport sizes for $190 and flipped those for $280!

Did you sell them in Langley or Surrey?

Where?

Just thought that a lot of riders were from Coquitlam, Surrey, Delta, Maple Ridge, Langley, Aldergrove, Abbotsford, Mission, Chilliwack, Hope and Spuzzum area. Maybe New Westminster, Queensboro, Richmond too.

sounds good!

I do understand what you mean. I've been reading comments, feedback and reports and have tried to filter out the trash and currently believe this is going to be a good choice.

I've watched the prices closely and the best deals I've found up to now were right around $269. This is a good chunk better and I've deal with Jake Wilson before and they live up to their promises.

As I said above, I emailed them and specifically asked whether these were EMS and they positively stated that they were.

Mine will be here Wednesday.
thats a good deal! i just killed my metzler sport tech 5 they we good tier but did not get alot of life from them,they heat up fast, just go and they are ready and they can be pushed i got more then 45degrees lean angels out of them,great in all weather also but very expensive!

They're Still There

If anyone one of you has been interested in getting some of these tires at a great price and can't locate them.............they're still there.

But.............Wilson has listed them in a way that they are hard to find.

You MUST search:

Street Motorcycle Tires: All

and then filter by Brand, "Pirelli"

Good tires, good prices; but you have to know where to look.

Pirelli Angel ST Front Motorcycle Tire | Jake Wilson

The corresponding rear tire will be listed to the right.

If anyone one of you has been interested in getting some of these tires at a great price and can't locate them.............they're still there.

But.............Wilson has listed them in a way that they are hard to find.

You MUST search:

Street Motorcycle Tires: All

and then filter by Brand, "Pirelli"

Good tires, good prices; but you have to know where to look.

Pirelli Angel ST Front Motorcycle Tire | Jake Wilson

The corresponding rear tire will be listed to the right.

Well you certainly can't beat the price! Looks like they are about the same price as the Bridgestone BT-23s. I wonder how the two compare in grip and mileage...

The BT-23 and Angels are about the same in grip. I couldn't tell that one was grippier than the other however I did get about 4% less miles out of the first Angel rear that I put on. I took that tire off before it was done though because it was always slick and wore the 23 to the cords because they advertise better wear and I wanted all my money's worth. Still didn't get it, it was only 8.6% better than the 21s as far as wear but a better overall tire. The new Angel rear I have has never been slick so I'm guessing it was just that set of tires. If I could have stood the slick feeling longer, I suspect tire wear would be about the same.

The BT-23 and Angels are about the same in grip. I couldn't tell that one was grippier than the other however I did get about 4% less miles out of the first Angel rear that I put on.

I can't provide any data from experience with the tires but Wilson's Customer Service people did confirm that these are the new EMS Extended Mileage tread compound.

Both bikes get new tires this winter, looked at Metzler Road Tech. Thats what I have on FJR now, or Conti Motions. These Angels look like the stuff. Have to research.

Back