Hit n Run on my 2003 FZ1

2 Days ago I was leaving work and when I walked down to the Motorcycle parking in the Garage I noticed from a distance my bike was leaning on the kickstand instead of being up on the center stand.... I normally put it on the center stand because it takes up less space, making it easier for the other moto's to park and it is easier to strap my backpack on when the bike is level.

I had noticed that the car parked nearest the moto parking was over the line a bit, but I did not think they would actually hit my bike. I actually cannot prove at the moment that it was that particular car, but I have my suspicions.

What I concluded is the car turned the wheels to the left while backing out in an attempt to back out of the space and rotate the car in a way to leave the structure without having to do a few more turns. When backing out the passenger front tire must have hit my exhaust(found a little bit of rubber wedged into part of it) and pushed my bike forward off the center stand and it fell into the floorboard of the BMW K1800 Parked next to it as it landed on the ground, also cracking the fairing, busting one of the radiator mounts and scratching the rear plastics.

They obviously knew they did something wrong and pick it up and put it on the kickstand. They did not leave a note.

I filed a report with the Security for the garage and they have a video camera that points at the location of the incident. I need to get an official police report so they can release the footage to the Police to make sure I can get this all covered by the perps insurance. I plan to ride over to a local police station today and get that report.

I ended up leaving a note for the BMW rider even thought there was no damage to his floorboard and I bet without the note he would not even know his bike was hit. I am so glad I was not parked closer to the BMW or else I would be liable for all the damage to his bike....

Fortunately the bike runs fine and the tank is not leaking, but it will need to be replaced.

Un-Fortunately I have a feeling that if this person does have insurance they will want to just salvage it out instead of repairing it....

I really hope they catch this person and put a huge red mark on their license for Hit n Run.

Here are some pics of the damage and the bike it hit:

20171212_154012.jpg

20171212_154015.jpg

20171212_154025.jpg

20171212_155902.jpg

Here are some screen grabs from my go pro when I pulled in that morning:

vlcsnap-2017-12-13-08h12m00s225.jpg

vlcsnap-2017-12-13-08h10m31s893.jpg

It easily could of been someone else, but I sorta doubt it. If they are such a poor driver they cannot properly park between the lines.......

Attachments

• vlcsnap-2017-12-13-08h09m20s661.jpg
    vlcsnap-2017-12-13-08h09m20s661.jpg
    74.2 KB · Views: 264
Geez, your tank took a hell of a beating. Sorry to see that and I hope you get everything sorted without much trouble and they don't just write off the bike. You may be better off simply finding a replacement tank and having it painted if that's going to be a possibility.

Geez, your tank took a hell of a beating. Sorry to see that and I hope you get everything sorted without much trouble and they don't just write off the bike. You may be better off simply finding a replacement tank and having it painted if that's going to be a possibility.

I would prefer that, I am not ready to change bikes yet.... But IF we find the driver and they admit fault and I contact their insurance, i fear they will salvage because of the fairing and radiator damage.

attachment.php

Can anyone park over there, not one car is parked correctly in this pic....

Totally sucks, I am pretty sure you have the culprit. Now to wait and check out the car to see if they have any damage if they come back.

Hope you can get it repaired with minimum troubles...

When I was hit last year (lady not looking just broadsided me while I was stopped, I saw her coming and jumped just on time...), the damage was over $1,800 and the insurance paid. My bike is an '03 as well in good condition.
I did not have the tank replaced, that probably would have pushed the bill beyond economic value and set myself for salvage and there was just a very minor scratch (not through the paint).
The adjuster was nice and once we settled on the tank, he did not argue anything else I wanted replaced...

I had a very similar incident a few years ago. However, all that was damaged was the front right reflector and bracket and a couple small chips on the fairing. The bike was on the center stand and remained on the stand but rotated about 35 degrees. I had a Dowco cover on it at the time. Total damage was under $100 but still!

Can anyone park over there, not one car is parked correctly in this pic....

It is technically Doctor parking only on that level of the structure, but Security told me many times the public parks there. I need to follow-up with them and get some status now that I am back in town.

Good news!

Security tracked down the man who ran into it and he admitted to doing it. I have the Insurance info and will be starting a claim.

Here is the story, took forever to get the claim going because State Farm did not give me all the instructions on how to get the claim submitted properly.

As I suspected they decided to Salvage the Vehicle and gave me a value of $2300 n change. I took the offer and paid them $400 to keep the bike, so a check for $1900.

The bike is still ridable as the tank is not leaking and could possibly have the dents pulled to clean it up some. But in the meantime I am looking for a new tank and a new Radiator as the mounting bracket on my radiator is missing now.

Here is the story, took forever to get the claim going because State Farm did not give me all the instructions on how to get the claim submitted properly.

As I suspected they decided to Salvage the Vehicle and gave me a value of $2300 n change. I took the offer and paid them $400 to keep the bike, so a check for $1900.

The bike is still ridable as the tank is not leaking and could possibly have the dents pulled to clean it up some. But in the meantime I am looking for a new tank and a new Radiator as the mounting bracket on my radiator is missing now.

Lord Jr! It's been how long?? Geez, so now you'll what, have a "salvage title"? I'm glad it's still in riding condition.

Lord Jr! It's been how long?? Geez, so now you'll what, have a "salvage title"? I'm glad it's still in riding condition.

I guess, We just registered it for this year so I should not have to deal with any salvage stuff for a while.

I might fix it up and sell as is and put the cash and settlement toward a Gen 2......

Back