HID Headlights

Hey guys,

Just wondering if anyone has any experience with HID headlights.

Currently I am using a Narva Platinium bulb in my FZ1n which gives off a nice bluish/white light. The only problem is, it is not very bright :tdown:

I have done heaps of reading into HID headlights which apparently give off this same bluish/white light, but with great light output. Even more than standard.

However, with my research has come conflicting information where some systems allow for lowbeam and highbeam from the one bulb and some dont. And then some that require relays or other addons to stop flickering. It is all getting a little too difficult for me so I was wondering whether anyone already has a HID kit fitted and could recommend a kit to me? Or even just give me some information on what I should be looking for in a kit to fit my 2008 Yamaha FZ1N?

Cheers,

Jon

I personally think unless you plan on retrofitting projectors into the stock housing, you're better off not adding HID bulbs. I would go with a high-end halogen bulb like the Philips Xtreme Vision H4.

Here is some great reading regarding this and it explains the science behind the two kinds of bulbs

I bought a set of Sylvania Xtremes from WalMart. Evidently I am always pissing people off cause I get the highbeam treatment all the time. I live in the country and find they are much brighter and light up the road much farther and wider than stock. They aren't far behind the 50 watt hid's in my 02 chevy truck with stalk reflectors

I put HID projectors in, they work great, they were a bit of work to install but nothing too bad. That's really the way to go if you want HIDs. This way they are safe and legal and not angering people coming towards you

I bought a set of Sylvania Xtremes from WalMart. Evidently I am always pissing people off cause I get the highbeam treatment all the time. I live in the country and find they are much brighter and light up the road much farther and wider than stock. They aren't far behind the 50 watt hid's in my 02 chevy truck with stalk reflectors

I have the same reaction with the stock H4 bulbs here. They flash their highs and I flash back.

I put HID projectors in, they work great, they were a bit of work to install but nothing too bad. That's really the way to go if you want HIDs. This way they are safe and legal and not angering people coming towards you

hey just wondering where u mounted your ballasat? if you can post a picture? ... thanks

I attached my balasts to the black plastic side fairing piece using 3M Fasteners to attach them. I havent had any issues with them moving due to bumps or vibration. The cable routing to each headlight is pretty clean from those locations as well.

I dont have any pictures of the setup or i would share to be more precise.

Last edited:
Switched to HIDs a few years ago and won't go back. They are legal here and the testing is strict. If it doesn't fit light patterns and focus the light, it won't pass. The FZ1 reflectors do that.
And when adjusted right, they far outperform halogens!
Go for a temp of 4300-5000k to avoid the blue tinge.
If you get slim ballasts they'll fit on the fairing tray under the headlights. Stick your hand up under there, you'll see where I mean. Heavy duty velcro keep them there.
Biggest recommendation is to buy a well regarded set. Not necessarily a name brand but definitely some that have good reviews with no failures.

Last edited:
I just fitted a HID conversion kit to my FZ1n and its a Bi xenon type. With high and low beam. It's all in the new bulb. Was a right git to hide the very slim ballast box and relays. I managed it though after an hour of trial n error testing. It's a 6000k type. Very good very bright too. I just need to road test it now.

Switched to HIDs a few years ago and won't go back. They are legal here and the testing is strict. If it doesn't fit light patterns and focus the light, it won't pass. The FZ1 reflectors do that.
And when adjusted right, they far outperform halogens!
Go for a temp of 4300-5000k to avoid the blue tinge.
If you get slim ballasts they'll fit on the fairing tray under the headlights. Stick your hand up under there, you'll see where I mean. Heavy duty velcro keep them there.
Biggest recommendation is to buy a well regarded set. Not necessarily a name brand but definitely some that have good reviews with no failures.

So to make sure i got this right, you are using HID bulbs in the regular FZ1 reflectors? I have tried this on other bikes and got 0 beam pattern and just lit everything up with no cut off line and blinded everyone in front of me.

But i have never tried on the FZ1 due to my experience on other bikes without projectors. Im interested as to why the FZ1 reflectors are better then others, and how you manged to get a decent cut off line

Projectors definitely a must. Reflectors aren't designed to control that amount of brightness

that's the route i am going to go on the FZ1 due to previous experience. But i was interested on the statement about the FZ1 passing an MOT or what ever the test is called depending on your country while using HID'd in reflectors. That's a massive NO NO here in the UK

The kit I bought gives a beam patten. The hid bulb unit has a metal shroud on it and I'm guessing this is what stops the surplus light. How do I post a picture on here to show you guys?

The kit I bought gives a beam patten. The hid bulb unit has a metal shroud on it and I'm guessing this is what stops the surplus light. How do I post a picture on here to show you guys?

i had the same type of bulb also and had very bad light scatter. Interesting.

You have to upload the image to a hosting website first like photo bucket and then copy the image URL from there. But if you have the time i would be grateful if you could email me? [email protected] i am super interested in how this looks with just the bulbs :)

Projectors definitely a must. Reflectors aren't designed to control that amount of brightness
My toyota has lowbeam HIDs in the standard reflectors. They were an option when new. They have front caps on the globes to utilize the reflectors minimize glare apparently. They are factory installed and guaranteed and pass registration inspection no problem. Oh, 8 years old and no damage to the reflector or cover.

Last edited:
So to make sure i got this right, you are using HID bulbs in the regular FZ1 reflectors? I have tried this on other bikes and got 0 beam pattern and just lit everything up with no cut off line and blinded everyone in front of me.

But i have never tried on the FZ1 due to my experience on other bikes without projectors. Im interested as to why the FZ1 reflectors are better then others, and how you manged to get a decent cut off line
Yamaha's option-up arm Y's gear has an HID kit specifically for the FZ1. I got mine off a guy making kits on the FJR forum. It's the 2nd kit as the 1st one, cheap, failed after about a year. Both kits had/have the metal cup n shroud as Delta was likely describing above.
Initially, they needed a fair bit of adjustment from the settings used with halogens and got some flashes. Took it to a Shaken(MOT) approved place to get them dialed in. They had to do each light individually and cover the other one as together they are bright enough to screw with the machine apparently. Anyway, no more flashes, they pass inspection and light up the road well.

Last edited:
Back