Help!!

Ok, doing the brakes, on the front had to remove a bolt that was holding the reflector, in order to gain access to the banjo bolt, and the caliper moved, the bolt no longer threads straight through.. How do I put the caliper back???

Ok, doing the brakes, on the front had to remove a bolt that was holding the reflector, in order to gain access to the banjo bolt, and the caliper moved, the bolt no longer threads straight through.. How do I put the caliper back???

Don't sweat it. First, you don't have to remove the reflector at all. Just loosen the nut enough for it to turn, then turn it counterclockwise and you'll be able to get the caliper bolt. Also, I think your speaking of the hold down for the brake cable. You have to remove the bracket in question and bend it so you can start the screw with it off the bike. Then take the screw out and put the bracket back on the fork and it should go in. I have had the same thing happen about 3 times already. That bracket just has to be bent open a tiny bit and the bolt will not go in properly. I hope this helps.

Oh, the actual caliper! Okay, still no big deal. You must not have the pistons pushed in enough so the pads are not allowing the caliper to mount. Remove the caliper again. Take a flat screwdriver and put a rag over the end. Put it in between the two pads and apply some pressure one way or another. You will see the pads separate from each other. Go nice and slow as not to mar the brake pads. Once you have a big enough gap between the pads, re-install the caliper and you should have no problems.

The new pads have much more thickness to them than the old ones. This is why the pistons must be set back into the caliper. If you go slow and use even pressure you will have no problems. Just don't forget to use the rag.

Thanks guys, I was able to apply a little downward pressure on the caliper with a rubber handle, and it slid back into place, no worries! You guys rock!!!!!

An it looks like the pads are even, so it's good to go. I didn't get to the rear brake line tonight, but I figure it will be even easier then the front. :)

Good job coaching Billy!

I was just going to say "Rotate the front wheel a little in the correct direction and the rotor will pull the caliper back into place." :D

Good job coaching Billy!

I was just going to say "Rotate the front wheel a little in the correct direction and the rotor will pull the caliper back into place." :D

Damn! Why didn't I think about that! This is why your invaluable to the forum. What will I do without your expertise down at Deals Gap?! I'll have to remember that when my set of calipers get here. I was going to make it a surprise but I scored a complete GenII set of calipers this morning with Silver Discs instead of Blue. Lets just say it was a "Steal":sinister: Thanks Tony!

I'm only a phone call away Billy! :D

Hey, you did very well here in helping out! Don't short-change yourself! You're not the top poster because you spill drivel, it's because you know your stuff!

You guys are the best, I really enjoy doing my own work on the bike, and it's super cool to know if I run into something I'm unsure of I can ask one of you all!!!

You guys are the best, I really enjoy doing my own work on the bike, and it's super cool to know if I run into something I'm unsure of I can ask one of you all!!!

And, we LOVE to help out! This is why we keep this place friendly so that people who need to ask a question can get honest help and not 4 pages of useless advice and sarcastic answers. We boot those folks without hesitation.

Everyone should feel comfortable asking any question they want here! Thanks for the kudos.... from all of us!

Wow what a difference braided cables make!!! You don't notice how squishy your brakes are until you install these...can't wait to do the back one tonight..because I can really tell the difference!

Wow what a difference braided cables make!!! You don't notice how squishy your brakes are until you install these...can't wait to do the back one tonight..because I can really tell the difference!

Oh yea can you say two finger braking now! And your lines were relatively new. Can you imagine the improvement it (braided lines) make on a 10 or 15 year old bike...

Good job tackling the brake job. I can't believe braided lines makes such a difference. I'll have to find out for myself someday. My bike is only 4 months old, (actually 3 yrs 4 mnth leftover 07) so I think the brakes work great since I haven't tried one with braided lines yet.

All this talk about braided lines has got me itchy!!!

Me too! I'm just trying to decipher which ones are the best choice because every time someone buys a set, there's an issue with them. Too long, too short, rusting banjos, don't fit correctly, etc.... But, I WILL get some to install over the winter months. :D

Back