Help please

LGee

So about 6 months ago I brought my first bike FZ1000 2006. I love the bike, topped out at 170, handles pretty good. Of course the R1 engine is a plus. But all jokes a side, my 5th gear started slipping. Meaning not catching at in that gear. Now it all gears except a 1, 3, and 6. And it makes a terrible noise once I turn the bike on, as if something is grinding. But when I pulled the clutch back and hold it, I don’t hear it. Is this a blown motor issue? Please help! I’m not to knowledgeable about my bike just yet, so if anyone has some advise, please send it my way. I’m thinking it’s the motor. Help

Blown engine wouldn't be made better by pulling in clutch, it would be blown all the time. Gen 2s aren't known for bad transmissions. Sounds like something has come apart in your clutch. How many miles? Yamaha makes pretty good clutch plates they should easily last 50K miles. Clutch slipping should be worse in higher gears.

Last edited:
To me it sounds like you have a trans issue but it could be your clutch. DO NOT START IT. Go drain the oil and put a magnet in the oil pan so that the oil drains on it. If you have metal pieces on the magnet once its done draining, then start looking for a new engine. If not, then have a look at your clutch.

To me it sounds like you have a trans issue but it could be your clutch. DO NOT START IT. Go drain the oil and put a magnet in the oil pan so that the oil drains on it. If you have metal pieces on the magnet once its done draining, then start looking for a new engine. If not, then have a look at your clutch.
Makes sense. Since he's already run it my other suggestion was to use the screwdriver to the ear (stethoscope if you have one) to determine which side of engine or which engine cover the noise is coming from. I've always wanted a stethoscope...... may have to buy one.

The other noise maker more common on Gen 2s is the rotor but it doesn't explain the gearing issues. I'm a little unsure what LGEE means when he says slipping. Slipping in gear i.e. the clutch is slipping or slipping out of gear i.e. it keeps popping out. Popping out of 2nd is not unheard of for Gen 1s, R1s and I guess many other models. Popping out of 2nd, 4th and 5th is not something I've ever read about. Usually 2nd goes due to missed clutchless shifts.

Just saw this thread, so now I have read about it.

I have a stethoscope, my 2 footlong phillips works better. I say get a endoscope instead.

Im headlong into the trans on my slabby project and the knowledge ive learned is priceless. Once one thing fails in the system something else takes the load and it soon fails. Its a bad Dominoe effect that gets worse when you realize you cant buy new parts. In this case, its cheaper to buy a new engine/trans that fixing the current one, IF the trans is the issue.

I spent days trying to find a 2nd gear for my slabby, and finally found a nos one for $81 bucks. I dont even know if i need it, but it is the weak point in the system.

Blown engine wouldn't be made better by pulling in clutch, it would be blown all the time. Gen 2s aren't known for bad transmissions. Sounds like something has come apart in your clutch. How many miles? Yamaha makes pretty good clutch plates they should easily last 50K miles. Clutch slipping should be worse in higher gears.
I agree, the clutch

I'm leaning more towards Bunk's theory concerning transmission....... but I'm still waiting for the LGee to clarify slipping, then I'll place my bet.

Back