HELP! Loud clattering noise

Rx_FZ1

I could really use some help diagnosing this new very loud noise my 06 is making. On a recent ride on the interstate running between 80-90mph I had 6th gear fall out on me into a false neutral. It didn't drop into 5th but would drop out of 6th and hit the rev limiter. I pulled in the clutch and would try to shift back into sixth but not able to. I could down shift into 5th then shift back up into 6th. It did this 4-5 times in my 60 mile trip. When i got off the interstate it was very hard to shift into lower gears but not making any noise. As I pulled into the garage in 1st I could hear a very loud clatter and was unable to find neutral. After many attempts I started to smell burning so i turned it off and assumed I had smoked my clutch. (I have a quickshifter, drag race anyone willing, do many hard accelerations, wheelies, and burn outs) it has 25k on it so thats why I thought a new clutch was in order. When I pulled the old one the friction plates looked good but the metal ones where blued and burnt. So i ordered a new clutch and looked over everything else while at it. I noticed the chain was on the loose side as well so I tightened it, put in a new ebc clutch and changed the oil. Buttoned it all back up started it in neutral and the very loud clatter was still there. It shifts much better through all gears and doesn't make the sound when in gear. Its there when in neutral with the clutch out loud and " clattery" def not normal. It's even louder with the clutch in. Its a new noise it's not the normal fz1 clutch noise i know they make. This is a BAD sound. Its not a grinding or clicking its a clatter it sounds like a sick ducati hence the clutch diagnosis. But it seems to be coming from the left side of the bike (as you sit on it) opposite side of the clutch. I'm stumped guys please help if you can I just need to know where to look next. Please don't say it's normal clutch noise for the FZ1 it's definitely new and not normal. I'll try to post a picture of the clutch plates as well as a video of the sound later today. Thanks for any help in advance.
https://youtu.be/N6J52UlcnT0
I'm at work so i had my wife take a video for me, she is a keeper!

That is a strange noise indeed. The popping out of 6th gear is also really odd and I've not heard of anyone else having this problem before.

Wish I could help but I've got nothing for you. Good luck!

Well after pulling the clutch and clutch basket I think I have found the problem. Somehow the oil/water pump assembly drive chain came off of the bottom drive sprocket. I just don't know how or why this happened or how i was able to drive over 60 miles at 80+ mph without any other symptoms, especially running hot which it wasn't. It's not broken or damaged either the chain or sprockets. I'm going to do some research today and try to find the specs on how much slack it's supposed to have, from what i have read so far they do run pretty loose. This has been a real pita during prime riding weather here in IL. Hoping to get it all back together this evening. I'll report back with the results when i do. Thanks for taking a look though, it let me know this is a problem very few if any have ever encountered.

Back