Headlight tape for track days

I know a lot of people use colored duct tape or blue painter's tape for covering headlights for track days (often a requirement), but does anybody know of any pre-sized FZ1 headlight tape decals? I know they have some for R1/R6: YAMAHA – TrakTape

Or is there a single large-sheet tape for this kind of thing that you can cut to fit?

since my bikes black i use 2" black masking tape then just run a blade around the edges to cut it down to shape nicely, run credit card over creases and it comes out pretty clean. (when i actually take my street bike to the track once or twice a year)

do not ever put duct tape straight on your plastics/headlamps as the residue will bake on and be a pain to get off. put down painters tape first, then duct tape on top of that, if you wanna go with that certain color.

you can buy vinyl (in any color you want) which you cut to size after install

edit: buddy uses 3m wrap film and i'll never admit it to him but it looks sharp. you can get it in most colors including cf which doesnt look bad from 5' away

black masking tape
13923297_10153828503948927_1288554657022738255_o.jpg

3m wrap film gold
1492594_774141039281638_1319192117_o.jpg

3m wrap film carbon fiber
13501720_1057717197626313_9168613676274334188_n.jpg

Last edited:
They make you tape tail lights as well as headlights. The idea is that if the plastic breaks in a crash, the tape keeps it together instead of leaving small debris on the track.

The track days here only require glass to be taped. Seeing as most headlights are plastic, it does not matter. The brake light must be disabled or taped to be not visible.

Tape is to disable the lights, not because of crashing with plastic pieces. Glass, yes, that's for safety reasons. However very few bikes have actual glass on them nowadays. I am too lazy to pull my fuses, so i tape over them. it can be a distraction to those on track. also, brake lights mainly, are the devil on the track. people do not know how to ride around other people. if they see a brake light they'll pop up and brake too, even if they're 100 feet from their brake marker. so, for safety reasons we tape them off so they cant be seen or remove fuses.

and for the cases? i am at the track working, not riding lol, i can ride whatever i want to

Last edited:
Tape over head and tail lights is both to cover the light and to keep debris off the track according to the organizations I ride with. You cannot just disconnect your headlight or pull fuses for all lights and not tape them. It's NOT just about light showing.

Plastic will shatter as well as glass. All these must be taped as well as any reflectors you might have on the bike, which are also plastic and not lit. It's not about hiding light as that's a separate issue. Suggesting that modern plastic won't shatter under the impact of a wreck when I've seen entire front ends, sub frames, gas tanks, etc come off bikes at a track days is ridiculous. Could have gotten a sweet deal on a Panigale that basically looked like it was split in half! Sad day.

As stated above, make sure you put the painter's tape down first before you put down duct tape or masking tape. Don't over think it. I have my daughter put different kinds of tape over my Non-Functioning lights - tape with sheep, pickles, eyeballs, whatever she thinks is cool that day. I would love to have the energy to run a credit card over my tape job but I'm usually prepping my bike, my wife's bike, and two or three friend's bikes at the same time!

In response to the OP question, I don't know of any specific head/tail light covers for the FZ1. I have used the covers for the R1 a long time ago and they were really nice and easy. I know what you're looking for and I just don't think any exist for the FZ. Sorry I couldn't point you in the direction of one.

See KTM and Ducati photos for tape work. Nothing special, just stick it on and make sure nothing is showing through and ride safe!

Don't over think it.RLB_2928.jpgRLB_2957.jpg

Last edited:
logocropped.jpg

I ended up going with black masking tape, then white duct tape over that for a background to make my black numbers stand out. Then I found out my numbers didn't have sticky backs, so I used packing tape over top to hold them on! Anyway it worked.

Back